Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Should I buy floor pad, wall foam, cove moulding?

1. Back To Top    #1

Should I buy floor pad, wall foam, cove moulding?

New to pools here, more research I do, more expense I add.

I bought the pool cheap and having it installed next year.

Which one is best?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Should I buy floor pad, wall foam, cove moulding?

Skip the wall foam, unless there is a lot of roughness on the inside of the wall. I like the foam cove, but if you are having it installed, ask the installer what they would like. A floor pad is helpful to protect against rocks and roots, but isn't always needed. There are other floor options too, for exmaple I used extruded polystyrene insulation sheets on my floor instead.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

I would say that the wall foam has another good use, insulating the pool from heat loss. Very helpful in areas where the temp dips down at night enough to cause thermal wicking through the walls, or if you're heating the pool with solar or a gas/electric form of heat.

Well, 2 things I suppose, the second being more of an added luxury. That is, making the wall softer and lessening the blow when someone, or some part of you invariably whacks into it! HAHA :P

What size pool, steel or resin wall and are you doing a partial bury, or no?
    BTW, where do you live? All good things to put in your Sig and profile.
    Thanks for reading... - Tony
    Da' Pool: Intex 15'x42" 3284gal AGP EasySet (Inflatable Ring) - (Summer 2014: 27' round EW /w 6.5' deep end @ 22,500gal)
    Pump & Cart Mod: 1000gph Cart. 5ft² - 2 nylons, 24/7 OP. Traps bugs/bits, lasts longer/cleans easier = Happier Pool Owner!!
    The Bible for a "Trouble Free Pool" life = PoolSchool, the BBB method a TF100 test kit(Recommend Kits Compared). - Cleaning a Sand Filter
    Water looks like GLASS, if yours doesn't...SLAM IT! Feels nice and never been happier!!! :D

4. Back To Top    #4

Should I buy floor pad, wall foam, cove moulding?

I used the foam cove and glad I did. I didn't think the the wall foam was worth the money,so I didn't use it. It's very thin I didn't think there would be much of an insulating factor there. Most people opt out on that. As for the floor I have no pad and the floor is fine. If you have alot of rocks,roots,or nut grass,I would look at the gorilla pad. It is only used for liner protection,no comfort from it. Nut grass is nasty stuff and will grow thru a liner.

Don't forget one of our recommended test kits. It's a must have to manage your pool water. I use the TF100, its the best IMO. also spend some time reading in pool school.
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

5. Back To Top    #5

I have floor pad, a white closed cell foam, and it seems it make a little difference but I think it's more for liner protection. I also have foam coves and recommend them. I was reading another thread where they had washed out due to rain, foam can't wash out. Wall liner, I think it lines the sellers pockets. The amount of foam relative to the thermal mass of 10k + gallons of water and its surface area... Useless in my book.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by y_not
    I would say that the wall foam has another good use, insulating the pool from heat loss. Very helpful in areas where the temp dips down at night enough to cause thermal wicking through the walls, or if you're heating the pool with solar or a gas/electric form of heat.

Well, 2 things I suppose, the second being more of an added luxury. That is, making the wall softer and lessening the blow when someone, or some part of you invariably whacks into it!
    There is not much heat loss through the sidewalls compared to the top, so the insulating aspect of wall foam is very minor (and wall foam is not thick to start with). Having foam on the wall could potentially cause more leaks since objects would be more likely to penetrate the vinyl with the "give" of foam behind it.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.