LBuck...chemical problem

lbuck

Aug 22, 2013
hoping to get some advice from all of you smart pool people! Many balance issues this yr for me. Beginning with a leaking copper heating element-yikes. I had my pool opened this year, tested early, and paid the dear price of letting it go. Only to discover super low ph and alka. I brought up the alka, adjusted ph...replaced heater element. My FC is running super high..turned the chlorinator down. Still FC is super high. My phosphates were high..300...was told to add pool magic phos free. to lower. FC high...and I notice large areas on the vinyl liner that are very dark and do not brush off...
I appreciate any advise!...btw 300000 gal inground vinyl
My thanks...

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

lbuck said:
...super low ph and alka...My FC is running super high..
:testresults: Words like "super low" and "super high" don't give us enough information to make informed decisions / recommendations. Need to know specific results for FC, CC (Combined Chloramines), CYA (stabilizer), and pH at a minimum.

lbuck said:
My phosphates were high..300...was told to add pool magic phos free. to lower.
This one you do not need to worry about. Phosphates are a non-issue in a properly chlorinated pool. But first, we need to see specific numbers for the parameters I mentioned above.

The dark spots might be copper stains. If you have a feeder full of trichlor tablets, turning the feeder down won't help much because the tabs continue to dissolve.

A full set of results and pictures would be very helpful.

my present readings are from test strips...
presently:
FC 10, alk 120, ph 7.4
cya 100
the filter is off right now and there appears to be areas of "oil like" collections on the surface, ranging from half dollar size to softball size. Should I purchase a different test kit? My phos reading (300) came from the pool place testing my water.
thank you

The TF100 kit is about the same cost as one weekly trip to the LPS. Once you get a TF kit, your testing will take less than 5 minutes ( including no drive time) will cost nothing and will provide you with superior test results and no pressure sales techniques for the $30 bottle of FreeMagic. Then you know you can manage the pool with a $3 bottle of bleach and 50 cents of Muriatic Acid from the hardware store.

It may take some effort the first time but after balancing your pool with TFP, you will have more time and money for fun stuff.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.