Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: LBuck...chemical problem

1. Back To Top    #1

LBuck...chemical problem

hoping to get some advice from all of you smart pool people! Many balance issues this yr for me. Beginning with a leaking copper heating element-yikes. I had my pool opened this year, tested early, and paid the dear price of letting it go. Only to discover super low ph and alka. I brought up the alka, adjusted ph...replaced heater element. My FC is running super high..turned the chlorinator down. Still FC is super high. My phosphates were high..300...was told to add pool magic phos free. to lower. FC high...and I notice large areas on the vinyl liner that are very dark and do not brush off...
    I appreciate any advise!...btw 300000 gal inground vinyl
    My thanks...

2. Back To Top    #2
    DFW, Texas

Re: LBuck...chemical problem

Welcome to TFP!

Quote Originally Posted by lbuck
    ...super low ph and alka...My FC is running super high..
    Words like "super low" and "super high" don't give us enough information to make informed decisions / recommendations. Need to know specific results for FC, CC (Combined Chloramines), CYA (stabilizer), and pH at a minimum.

My phosphates were high..300...was told to add pool magic phos free. to lower.
    This one you do not need to worry about. Phosphates are a non-issue in a properly chlorinated pool. But first, we need to see specific numbers for the parameters I mentioned above.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Twin Cities, MN

Welcome to tfp, lbuck

btw 300000 gal inground vinyl
    That is a big pool guess is your meant 30000 gallons?

In addition to the the test results that BoD mentioned (see:, can you take a picture of the discoloration on the liner and post it?
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

4. Back To Top    #4

The dark spots might be copper stains. If you have a feeder full of trichlor tablets, turning the feeder down won't help much because the tabs continue to dissolve.

A full set of results and pictures would be very helpful.

5. Back To Top    #5

my present readings are from test strips...
    FC 10, alk 120, ph 7.4
    cya 100
    the filter is off right now and there appears to be areas of "oil like" collections on the surface, ranging from half dollar size to softball size. Should I purchase a different test kit? My phos reading (300) came from the pool place testing my water.
    thank you

6. Back To Top    #6
    Gurnee, IL (North Suburban Chi-town)

Yes, strips are a waste of time. Buy either a TF100 (best value) or Taylor K-2006.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

7. Back To Top    #7
    Antelope, CA

The TF100 kit is about the same cost as one weekly trip to the LPS. Once you get a TF kit, your testing will take less than 5 minutes ( including no drive time) will cost nothing and will provide you with superior test results and no pressure sales techniques for the $30 bottle of FreeMagic. Then you know you can manage the pool with a $3 bottle of bleach and 50 cents of Muriatic Acid from the hardware store.

It may take some effort the first time but after balancing your pool with TFP, you will have more time and money for fun stuff.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

8. Back To Top    #8

okay...I will start with that kit...and yes, 30000 gallons...sorry...hit that extra "0"