Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: accurate thermometer??

1. Back To Top    #1

accurate thermometer??

What/where can I buy an accurate spa thermometer?? Like + or minus 1 degree? I have two thermometers and one says 104 and 1 says 108 degrees. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: accurate thermometer??

It's like the man with two watches. A man with only one always knows what time it is.

I would suggest a lab supply if you really want accuracy. They will have a variety of types and at least a few that can stand being banged around in a spa. Good luck, and welcome to TFP.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    TF-100 Test Kit, ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Flagstone, 36"SF, Pentair VS Pump, EasyTouch W/Remote, Rheem 400KBTU Htr

3. Back To Top    #3
    DFW, Texas

Re: accurate thermometer??

Welcome to TFP!

I did some internet searches out of curiosity and did not find a particular brand or type that stood out head & shoulders above all others as the gold standard. You may want to browse through this thread on a digital thermometer that several members had purchased: Considering this thread was posted in 2010, the identical unit may or may not be available or it might have been replaced with an updated unit.

I would first narrow it down to which type of thermometer your interested in (digital, dial-type, or the traditional tube-type). I would get one that is easy to read.

A couple of outside-the-box suggestions to consider...You could look into an aquarium water temp thermometer, an NSF (National Sanitation Foundation) food service thermometer, or a laboratory thermometer. Of these three, you will probably get the best bang for the buck with the food-service thermometer. This is often a dial-type unit that is easy to read where you dip the probe end into the water and then get a reading within a few seconds. However, I wouldn't leave it in the spa as many of these units are not entirely water-tight. With any of these units, just make sure the working temperature range covers the expected temperature range for your spa.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.