Hayward HeatPro and ProLogic Question

Jul 30, 2013
I'm trying to hook up my heater which is the Hayward HeatPro HP21404T to be controlled by the hayward prologic (pl-p-4).

The Hayward manual... it says:

To control the board using an external switch, follow these steps :
• Turn on the heat pump.
• Set POOL mode to OFF.
• Set SPA mode to the desired temperature.
• Access the setup menu.
• Select mode E (external) on the P_S menu.
• Run two J7 (P_S) terminal wires from the HPEC-003 board to the NO
switch terminals (see FIG. 4).
• You can now control the operating mode by turning off the switch
(open = POOL, closed = SPA.)

I'm good until it says:
• Access the setup menu.
• Select mode E (external) on the P_S menu.

I don't think I am properly accessing the "Setup Menu" unless this is just the standard menu when pressing the SET button.

I can however get to the P_S menu by pressing the SET button a few times, but when in the PS menu i only have two choices... P or S... there is no E option.

Does anybody have any ideas.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

I am usually pretty good with helping with the ProLogic, but have not dealt with heaters.

Are those instructions you listed for the heater and not the ProLogic?

Thanks for the warm welcome and speedy reply. I've been reading for a few months, but this is the first time I haven't been able to find an answer to a question without a new post.

The instructions I included in the original post were copied straight from the HeatPro Installation manual. http://www.hayward-pool.com/pdf/manuals ... HP50TA.pdf

Also, the only instructions I can find in the PL-P-4 are:
Turn off power to heater.
2. Wire Pro Logic to terminals 1 & 2 (see diagram).
3. Leave jumper attached to terminals 4 & 5.
4. Move “BYPASS” dipswitch on heater circuit board to “ON” position (up).
5. Turn heater power back on.
6. Switch heater to either “Pool” or “Spa” (it doesn’t make any difference which is selected, the Pro Logic will take
control).
7. Heater display should be “bO” (for “
bypass
On).
8. Heater will fire whenever Pro Logic requests (when Pro Logic “Heater” LED is illuminated

However, I'm fairly certain these do not apply as there is no bypass dipswitch anywhere to be found on the HeatPro. I get the feeling these are for Hayward Gas heaters.

Found the answer for anybody having this issue in the future.

Follow the steps below. Regular text is what was provided in manual Red text are my edits.

• Turn on the heat pump.
• Set POOL mode to OFF.
• Set SPA mode to the 104.
• Access the setup menu by holding the SET button for 5+ seconds until you see LOC on the display. Then Immediately begin pressing the UP arrow until the display reads 50. At this point repeatedly press the SET button until P_S is displayed. Once P_S is displayed, then select E.
• Select mode E (external) on the P_S menu. Ignore this step as you already did this above.

Reactions: halleys5

Follow the steps below. Regular text is what was provided in manual Red text are my edits.

• Turn on the heat pump.
• Set POOL mode to OFF.
• Access the setup menu by holding the SET button for 5+ seconds until you see LOC on the display. Then Immediately begin pressing the UP arrow until the display reads 50. At this point repeatedly press the SET button until P_S is displayed. Once P_S is displayed, then select E.
• Select mode E (external) on the P_S menu. Ignore this step as you already did this above.

Good morning Matt,have a quick question I have the same heater, having issues ,I connected the ps on the board to my pl plus 16v heat 1 input,but I can't get it fire up for. Am I missing something is the switch not the pl plus

I had a Hayward Rep come out and I think the guy set the max temp to 80 degrees as when I tried logging in through App the most I was able to do is 80.

I manually ended up having to override the heater to get it to desired temp.

My question is when someone starts pressing the temp button on the heat pro up to increase temperature does that cancel out the remote control and requires one to place it back into remote control mode again ?

Also most important, I saw somewhere that someone had to go into the config wizard to remove their existing setting for the heater and re-add it again to Make It work correctly . Is this true ? After doing all the corrected instructions above, if the heater was already set, would one have to delete it and re add it ?

I was having the same problem and this is the exact solution. I have no idea how you figured it out, but thank you!

• Turn on the heat pump.
• Set POOL mode to OFF.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.