Ordered the TF-100 kit Monday, it's here today (Thursday). Here are my numbers:

FC = 2.5
CC = 0
TA = 90
CH = 620
CYA = 40
CH 5
PH 8.2

Water pretty clear, but green algae on sitting areas and beach entry..... I know the PH is high, will get muratic acid for that, the chlorine is high as the SWG just ran for 4 hours today. Thanks in advance, this is such a great community.

What would you suggest now?

You FC is no where NEAR too high.

Since you see algae, you need to lower the pH to the lower 7s and the SLAM the pool to eliminate the algae. [slam:sd2ls9ak][/slam:sd2ls9ak]

SLAMing is usually done with the SWG off. Once you pass the 3 criteria, you are going to want to raise the CYA up to around 70-80ppm as recommended for the SWG and then get it fired back up.

Luckily you are one of the few that does not have to replace water to lower the CYA before SLAMing.

Just to reiterate, your chlorine is too LOW. Not too high. That's why you have algae. See here. It's critical to never let your FC drop below minimum, frankly I don't like it when it gets within 1 ppm of MIN. The essence of troublefree is to always maintain your FC above minimum for your given CYA.

pool-school/chlorine_cya_chart_shock

SLAM the pool as directed and then raise your CYA to recommended range for a SWG when you're done. Part of SLAMing is lowering your pH so you're on the right track there. Do that first and then SLAM (technically lowering the pH is part of SLAMing but you get the idea).

It's important to understand that SLAMming the pool involves brushing and vacuuming. Brush that algae up into your chlorinated water and let the chlorine do it's work. DO NOT leave algae in the pool regardless of how clear your water is now or how much that will cloud it up. Brush and vacuum your pool.

Ok, before I dump in 6 or 7 gallons of bleach, am I correct I want to get the FC to 24 based on the chlorine_cya_chart_shock chart? SWG pool with 20,000 gallons? I will get the PH in the 7's tonight, followed tomorrow and Sunday by bleach 3 times a day, a gallon at a time? Sound about right?

You should start off by raising the chlorine level to 16 because your CYA level is 40. You want to maintain the FC at 16 or a little above at all times during the SLAM process. Use the pool calculator to determine how much chlorine you will need, see my signature for the link if you have not already bookmarked it. You want to add all the chlorine needed to raise the FC level to 16 at one time, then measure an hour later to see if the FC level is high enough. Keep adding and testing as often as you can.

love this stuff.....added 2 gallons and FC at 12......adding a half gallon more should do it......will measure again in another hour......this is a pretty good beer drinking activity....a lot better than watching paint dry.....LOL

Oh, by the way, I went to buy bleach, but while in Home Depot picking up muratic acid found the liquid shock, its 10% strength according to the label......hope that's ok. Anyone else use this?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok, quick question, when is it enough? I am around 18 still (been there for 3 hours), I will check every few hours until around 10 tonight, adding if needed to keep it up, already the green algae spots are gone, water was already clear. I have the pump on and the SWG off, after running all night what should I suspect in the am? I have brushed twice, seems good, of course chlorine smell is obvious....What do I do tomorrow?

Before you get to tomorrow, you have to think about overnight. As per the SLAM process, ensure you pass all three conditions of step 3 of the SLAM process.

pool-school/shocking_your_pool

One of those steps are for tonight... Read here...

pool-school/overnight_fc_test

If your FC level was maintained throughout the night (+-1 ppm) without adding any chlorine, and you meet the other two conditions (CC 0.5 or lower AND water clear) then you are done SLAMming your pool.

Good luck

Don't forget to check and clean everywhere algae could be hiding. Under/behind ladders, behind any lights in a niche, anywhere water gets to that isn't readily visible. Lots of people have had to SLAM for extended periods because of a hidden algae source. If you have a hiding place for algae the quicker you find it and clean it out the quicker the SLAM process will be completed.

It sounds like you're off to a great start and you're staying on top of things. Keep it up and you should be Trouble Free in no time. :party: Be sure to keep a check on your filter pressure as DE filters tend to clog quicker than other types when cleaning up dead algae. A 25% rise above clean pressure is your cue for action.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.