I have this problem when the pump is turned on, the green/brown water shoots out of the return. It started about a week ago. I had this happen before so:
1) I inspected the spider gasket and O ring for Vari-flow, looked good enough but I changed them with new(No lube). No Good.
2) I replaced all 8 grids in the DE filter early this year and filter was working fine until 1 week ago. Inspected the grid. Hosed them clean. Charged with about 6 lbs of DE. Looked great but No Good.
3) Hayward calls it "Outlet Elbow O-Ring". It's the O ring on Inlet pipe in the filter where Manifold gets plugged into. Looked ok but I changed and lubed it. No Good. I did this after about 3 hours "2)" step and noticed DE wasn't sticking to any of the grids.
4) Hayward calls it "Flex Air Relief Assembly". Took the filter top off and inspected the "Flex Air Relief Assembly". Took the "Sock" off and I see tube in the plastic guard. Washed the "Sock" and no holes or anything. I’m at the point I can’t tell blowing green anymore. The pool is too green! I did this about 1 hour "3)" step and noticed DE was sticking to about 5 inches from the top of all grids..
1) was done at start of the problem. 2), 3) and 4) were done today. Only thing I can think of to attack next is the spring in the Vari-flow not pushing the "Key Stem Assembly" enough to the spider gasket. I don't think 4) fixes it so any other thing I can look at? 3) might have done it.. I can't tell anymore. Does the spring on Veri-flow go bad? I’ll update in about 6 hours to see any change.
My equipment is following:
Hayward 4800 DE Filter
Hayward Vari-flow SP710XR50