Pool Chick Charge?

Jun 8, 2013
Diana, TX
I recently became a pool owner and shortly after had to go to pool school. I was talking pool with someone that was impressed with my knowledge on pools and was asked how much I charge. I tested this person's water, told the person what to buy and how much to use, and gave a few tips for free. But if I were to keep their pool looking good, I would like to make a little money doing it. I live just a few miles from this person, so it wouldn't be out of my way. The charge would really just be for my time and testing chemicals. I have never had a pool person to even begin to know what the going rate is here in East Texas. Does anyone have a suggestion on a fair price?

Kind of up to you what your time is worth, how often you will go, are you supplying the chemicals and keeping the pool in balance, who is responsible if the water turns green?

Around here for around $40/mo you can hire a company to come out every week and "keep the pool balanced" and by that I mean the try to keep the water clear. They do not use a good test kit and I think their entire goal is for the water to stay "clear enough" that no one complains. If it turns green, well they come out more often, but no refund based on loss of use.

You should certainly well define who is responsible for what.

I have thought about this. the BBB methods require nearly daily testing. Unless you are willing to charge what it costs you "in time" to drive there, test the water, make changes and drive home, DAILY, it's not likely to be a good plan. Pool services plan a route and charge $10-20 per week and many of them only test your pool for that much. AFAIK, many charge for the chemicals used in maintaining and when it get too hard to keep non-green, charge you to fix what they caused... an over conditioned green pool.

It's hard to be able to add something to a pool and not come back for a week. If you were doing chlorine injection, it might work but then you would need to charge for the installation of a chlorine pump and setup.

How do they chlorinate their pool?

If they are switching to, or NEED to switch to manual dosing, would they dose daily if you left pre measured bottles of chlorine labeled for the day of week?

Would you have to vacumn?

Clean filter? If so what type?

In a close to the house situation like that, by the hour, including testing chemicals I would have to charge min $20 an hour, cash.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.