Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Chick Charge?

1. Back To Top    #1

Diana, TX

Pool Chick Charge?

I recently became a pool owner and shortly after had to go to pool school. I was talking pool with someone that was impressed with my knowledge on pools and was asked how much I charge. I tested this person's water, told the person what to buy and how much to use, and gave a few tips for free. But if I were to keep their pool looking good, I would like to make a little money doing it. I live just a few miles from this person, so it wouldn't be out of my way. The charge would really just be for my time and testing chemicals. I have never had a pool person to even begin to know what the going rate is here in East Texas. Does anyone have a suggestion on a fair price?
    50K gal, IG plaster with spa, built in 2001
    3HP WhisperFlo pump, 2HP WhisperFlo for waterfall
    520sq ft-150gpm cartridge filter, CircuPool SWG

2. Back To Top    #2
    South Carolina

Re: Pool Chick Charge?

What will you be doing? Just testing the water and making a report & suggestions? or what, if more?
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Tucson, AZ

Kind of up to you what your time is worth, how often you will go, are you supplying the chemicals and keeping the pool in balance, who is responsible if the water turns green?

Around here for around $40/mo you can hire a company to come out every week and "keep the pool balanced" and by that I mean the try to keep the water clear. They do not use a good test kit and I think their entire goal is for the water to stay "clear enough" that no one complains. If it turns green, well they come out more often, but no refund based on loss of use.

You should certainly well define who is responsible for what.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4
    Antelope, CA

I have thought about this. the BBB methods require nearly daily testing. Unless you are willing to charge what it costs you "in time" to drive there, test the water, make changes and drive home, DAILY, it's not likely to be a good plan. Pool services plan a route and charge $10-20 per week and many of them only test your pool for that much. AFAIK, many charge for the chemicals used in maintaining and when it get too hard to keep non-green, charge you to fix what they caused... an over conditioned green pool.

It's hard to be able to add something to a pool and not come back for a week. If you were doing chlorine injection, it might work but then you would need to charge for the installation of a chlorine pump and setup.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

5. Back To Top    #5
    East Texas

We work for beer and BBQ in East Texas!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

6. Back To Top    #6
    Redmond, OR

Quote Originally Posted by woodyp
    Thanks for reading... - Tony
    Da' Pool: Intex 15'x42" 3284gal AGP EasySet (Inflatable Ring) - (Summer 2014: 27' round EW /w 6.5' deep end @ 22,500gal)
    Pump & Cart Mod: 1000gph Cart. 5ft² - 2 nylons, 24/7 OP. Traps bugs/bits, lasts longer/cleans easier = Happier Pool Owner!!
    The Bible for a "Trouble Free Pool" life = PoolSchool, the BBB method a TF100 test kit(Recommend Kits Compared). - Cleaning a Sand Filter
    Water looks like GLASS, if yours doesn't...SLAM IT! Feels nice and never been happier!!! :D

7. Back To Top    #7

New Jersey

Well, the charge depends on the pool chick. Really nice ones, I might pay to go there.
    Current: 28,000G 18'x36' I/G AnthonySylvan Plaster; Waterway 60 sq.ft. DE Filter; 1.0hp x 1.65 SF Two-Speed (B2982) WhisperFlo; 2004-Present
    Previous: 40,000G 20'x40' I/G Koven unlined WWII salvage 5/8" marine steel; Lomart Stainless Sand Filter; 3/4hp Hayward SuperPump; 1946-2003 (managed by me from about 1964)
    Ancient Taylor K-2000, upgraded with Taylor CH, TA, and FAS-DPD, and TFT CYA tests.

8. Back To Top    #8
    North Georgia

How do they chlorinate their pool?

If they are switching to, or NEED to switch to manual dosing, would they dose daily if you left pre measured bottles of chlorine labeled for the day of week?

Would you have to vacumn?

Clean filter? If so what type?

In a close to the house situation like that, by the hour, including testing chemicals I would have to charge min $20 an hour, cash.
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    19,000 Gallons Vinyl Liner 3'-3.5'-4'
    SWCG and D.E. Filter
    Test Kits - Pool Calculator - Chlorine/CYA Chart - Pool School

Secret Weapon for Pool Chemistry Testing

9. Back To Top    #9

San Diego County, California

Have no clue as to going rates. My husband has been calling me the pool chick for 12 years Goodness knows what he'd have to pay if something happened to me!
    14K gallon IG pool with waterfall and separate 730 gallon IG spa built in 2002, Tahoe Blue Pebble Tec, 1.5 HP Pentair WhisperFlo, (2) 2 HP Pentair WhisperFlo booster pump (one each for spa and waterfall), Pentair FNS Plus 60 sq ft DE filter, Pentair Mini Max Plus 400 heater, Intellichlor IC40 SWCG, Easy Touch Wireless Control, Hayward Navigator Pro Pool Vac.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by woodyp

Funny, we do that out in West TX too.

Need some Pool Testing done?
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    TF-100 Test Kit, ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Flagstone, 36"SF, Pentair VS Pump, EasyTouch W/Remote, Rheem 400KBTU Htr

11. Back To Top    #11

SW Wisconsin

Depends..does the pool chick come out in a little two piece bikini??? I'd probably pay extra for that.
    33' x 52" Swim and Play Inc. PARAGON AGP. Hayward H200 Heater. Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.5hp pump. Sta-Rite Cristal Flo T-210WF Sand Filter. Stenner 45M5 chlorine pump

12. Back To Top    #12

^ I was expecting that to the the first response to this thread
    [ Vogue Vectra 24' AG | Hard plumb: Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 1HP 2-speed, 27" sand filter & Pentair MiniMax 100 NG | Taylor K-2006 | Central IL ]