Replace sand?

Rnsmik

Jul 3, 2013
Ever since I replaced liner/sand in the middle of last season, water clarity has been a problem. Ten years prior, no issues. Nothing else has changed, except this year I purchased a TFT kit. All the numbers are within range. The water slowly turns a greenish/yellow(cc is zero). All other numbers remain the same. I'm adding DE to the sand. Doing this 3-5 times a day clears things up dramatically. I skip a couple of days of DE and we start to turn again. Using BBB, even after shocking nothing clears up. Only after DE addition things get better. is it possible I have bad sand? I removed and rinsed/cleaned sand from filter a couple of weeks ago. Laterals and center pipe looked fine.

FAS-6
CC-0
TA-100
pH-7.5
CYA-60

Temp80*

Overnight test is unchanged, it's been at 0-.5 since I got the TFT some weeks back. Overnight test is done weekly. I got the sand at a local pool store, don't remember the sands "brand" name. Wonder if it was a bad batch.

I keep it on the higher side of the 5-9 range. 7-9. It dropped to a three once, but it was in the middle of this season long problem. I use bleach exclusively, except when I'm out of town. I drop a 3" trichlor in the skimmer which keeps it up while I'm gone

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'll check. Again, I had the same setup for ten plus years w/o incident. The run times were 6 hrs max. This problem began last year right after the liner/sand change. I did run the pump for fifteen(15) consecutive days earlier this season with a very, very slow clear up. Only after the DE towards the end of the 15 days did it clear up faster.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.