Green Algea on Bottom of Pool

As per my tf100 test kit:
    PH 7.2
    FC 5.5
    CC 0
    TA 130
    CH 110
    CYA 60

I typically vacuum pool and backwash filter every Saturday but by Wednesday there is green algea starting to form on the bottom of the pool. This started about a month ago. I typically just scrub it and it dissolves in the water. We have had a lot of rain and the pool has not been used much because of cooler temperatures. I have been using tablets for chlorine and using the shock you buy at Wal-Mart once a week. I am switching to the BBB method now. Is the algea normal? If not what should I do?

15x30 above ground pool
    Hayward S180T Sand Filter with 1.5 hp pump
    Central Kentucky

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: Green Algea on Bottom of Pool

No algae is not normal. It only happens when the FC gets to be too low depending on your CYA level. For a CYA of 60ppm, the FC should have NEVER been below 5ppm. See the chart: pool-school/chlorine_cya_chart_shock

All the tablets were raising the CYA and likely the powder from Walmart was adding calcium (cal-hypo).

The solution is NO MORE PUCKS (your CYA is already slightly too high) and following the SLAM process using bleach from now on. [slam:3dkyqy3s][/slam:3dkyqy3s]

Once you complete the process, then maintain adequate FC using bleach and you will never get algae and have to SLAM again.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Algae is not normal around here - at least not after the first couple weeks!

Your solution is to SLAM the pool and stop using powdered forms of chlorine, as your CYA level is already getting to the hard-to-manage level.

If you don't take care of this quick, you'll soon end up like the before pictures in these threads. Follow the SLAM and you'll be looking like the after pictures long before the big holiday weekend.

16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks! I will slam the pool and quit using tablets. There were times when my pool's chlorine levels were around 0.

Thanks again.
    15x30 above ground pool
    Hayward S180T Sand Filter with 1.5 hp pump
    Central Kentucky