Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Does CSI need attention here?

1. Back To Top    #1

Does CSI need attention here?

Hi all. Today I noticed a message on Pool Calculator: "Potential to become scaling" which is prompting me to write.

I could use some direction on managing CSI and on keeping TA at an ideal level. My PH has a tendency to climb, and the pool likes it at 7.8.

As a test I input some approximate numbers of what my pool numbers seem to be these days:

FC 7
    pH 7.8
    TA 90
    CH 450
    CYA 50
    Temp 90
    CSI .49

My actual numbers as of now (1 pm) are below, giving the exact same CSI of .49 (but I didn't see the scaling message from before for some reason):
    FC 8.5
    pH 7.8
    TA 90
    CH 450
    CYA 50
    Temp 91
    CSI .49

Additional information: The CH of our tap water is 110. I have never measured borates, is this a factor here?

Finally, I tend to keep FC in the range of 7.5 in the evening, falling to around 5 by the next evening.

If anyone has suggestions for me or can direct me to the right reading material, I look forward to your reply!

Thank you in advance, I really appreciate the advice on this forum! HoustonMom

2. Back To Top    #2
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Re: Does CSI need attention here?

That's easy to fix, and you're at the point where you should fix it. pH of 7.8 means time to add acid to bring it down. That will also lower the CSI.

Play around with the pool calculator, plugging different values in and watching the CSI. You'll soon see that the CH affects it, but it's hard to fix; Temperature affects it, but it's also hard to fix; TA takes time to fix; pH is the fastest, easiest fix - and yours is already right at the top of the eye comfort zone.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Tucson, AZ

I agree with Richard, if you lower the pH the CSI will be improved (although you are not out of range now).

One option to further help would be to Lower the Total Alkalinity following that process. That will lower the CSI and also should slow the rate that the pH rises.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

San Rafael, CA USA

If you had a saltwater chlorine generator or were using The Liquidator, then the higher CSI that you have could be a problem for scaling in those systems, but otherwise you might not see scaling at +0.5. The other potential problem area would be if you were using a gas heater since the temperature at the surface of the heat exchanger is around 30F higher than that of the pool water. We generally don't see scaling on pool surfaces until the CSI gets to +0.7 at the lowest or +1.0 where most pools would show scaling.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"