Ozone cleaner

jrr

Aug 22, 2013
Mcallen, TX
I have an ultra pure automatic cleaner on my pool. I notice not a lot of people have one here and there isn't a lot of info about them at least that I have seen. Then again I'm pretty new to the site. What do people think about them?

Thanks !

They aren't bad, but they don't add much to justify their extra cost. They don't add any residual sanitizer to the pool, so they don't change the chlorine requirements.

Ozone / UV systems are just not needed for a residential outdoor pool so are an extra expense with no real benefit. You still have to maintain the same levels of chlorine in the pool. In fact some of the systems actual break down the chlorine requiring you to have to add more to stay in the recommended ranges.

They can have some benefits in higher use pools and spas, and indoor pools, but most members do not fall into these categories.

Hi jrr,

I work for UltraPure and can answer any questions you may have regarding Ozone, but I will not do it on this forum as it always gets perceived as a "sales pitch" by a handful of members. Please feel free to contact me with any questions you have.

Hey, Brian,

I would have to say that it is a lot more than a handful of people but nevertheless find your post perfectly acceptable and a nice way for you and the OP to discuss his questions.

Just make sure that all the facts are presented including the fact that 1) if the ozonator is weak enough to not have any significant residual in the pool then it won't get to handling bather waste much faster than chlorine that is already in the bulk pool water and 2) if the ozonator is strong enough to have some residual in the pool then that residual will react with chlorine. See the paper Chemistries of Ozone for Municipal Pool and Spa Water Treatment for more details.

In a higher bather-load pool such as a commercial/public pool, ozone can be very helpful at oxidizing bather waste and chlorinated disinfection by-products (because there is so much of it), but in an outdoor residential pool bather load is typically very low and something that chlorine handles well on its own and is also handed by the hydroxyl radicals formed when chlorine breaks down from the UV in sunlight (ozone breaks down into hydroxyl radicals as well without needing sunlight to do so). So for an indoor pool not exposed to sunlight, ozone can be helpful, but for an outdoor low bather load pool there isn't much point. Also note that with commercial/public pools the ozonators are sized much larger and there are explicit contact chambers and degassing (or ozone destruction) so one can get the benefit of oxidizing bather waste without having a residual that would react with and deplete chlorine or outgas as ozone.

Residential spas are usually high bather load if used every day or two and ozone is helpful there roughly cutting chlorine demand in half. However, if the spa isn't used every day or two (say, once a week or just on weekends) then ozone actually increases chlorine demand by roughly double as it reacts with chlorine to produce chloride and chlorate in between soaks. We see this effect over and over again so it's absolutely real as predicted by the science in the paper I linked to above (in spite of denials by some).

If a technical discussion going into more detail is desired, we can have that in The Deep End and it won't have to be a sales pitch about any specific product/manufacturer (I've started one such thread called Ozone Claims). However, based on previous threads such as Ozone is a nice option to have and Hooking Up Ozone, there are statements made that are only true in improperly maintained pools (or in high bather-load pools) -- statements that ozone reduces the needed chlorine level, reduces the amount of chlorine needed to be added, and improves water clarity. The fact that a manufacturer sees these benefits does not prove that ozone is required, but rather that it is a crutch in improperly maintained pools and by that I mean improper according to science (i.e. the chlorine/CYA relationship) not pool industry standards which do not account for the known science since 1974. We've seen pools with ozonators that still get algae -- it is not a panacea. Unless an ozone residual is maintained in the pool, algae can still grow, and ozone manufacturers are not supposed to have any significant ozone residual in the pool in order to avoid the risk of outgassing ozone. Algae or pathogens on pool surfaces that do not get circulated do not get exposed to the ozonator. In properly managed pools, most of the chlorine is lost from the UV in sunlight and ozone does nothing to prevent such loss.

The bottom line is that there are over 55,000 members of this site, over 500,000 visitors to this site in July, and growing by 30% per year because chlorine alone can be used to properly maintain a pool, prevent algae, provide disinfection, and have sparkling clear water (assuming proper circulation and filtration) in outdoor residential pools. You are absolutely welcome to use the ozonator for your pool. Just have all the facts when you do so. Perhaps you can find out how to turn it on/off so that you can compare running the pool using chlorine alone following the chlorine/CYA chart and properly maintaining other water chemistry and then turn on the ozonator and see if you notice any difference (or go back and forth a few times over months) and then report back.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.