Blowing out lines with different plumbing.

uloset

Jul 11, 2013
Central New Jersey
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
1st a big thanks to everyone at TFP. I purchased a home this summer and the pool had been left for a year or 2 untouched. The pool water was completely black and had a visibility of zero, couldn't even see an single inch into it. Now the same pool is crystal clear and for the most part trouble free.

Anyway on to the question. My skimmers are plumbed a bit differently than what seems to be the norm. Each skimmer line also has an equalizer, but the equalizer is not plumbed directly to the bottom of the skimmer. Each skimmer is hooked up with one suction line on the bottom and then the equalizer seems to be plumbed to the suction line via a T fitting somewhere underground. Anyway I was wonder how I should go about blowing these lines when it comes time to close.

The problem is the equalizer ports along with my returns are about 18inches under water and the shallow end seems to be roughly 30 inches deep. Blowing them out would be a very simple task if I just lowered the water bellow the equalizer ports, but obviously because of their depth I'm hesitant to do so. My guess would be to 1st just cap the skimmer hole, blow the equalizer/cap it, and then open the skimmer ports and blow them. Still seems like the possibility of a lot of water remaining in the lines. I could also try keeping them both open when attempting to blow the lines, but wonder how it would work with the lines being open in 2 different locations with different pressures applied to them Any other suggestions? Thanks.

Melt In The Sun said:
I think if you just plug the skimmers and blow out the equalizers, it would get the water out of the skimmers too. Anyone disagree?

My only fear there is that water would get get trapped and pushed into the pipe that branches off to the equalizer. Though I'm sure a small amount of water will not matter as I plan to use antifreeze as well. Thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.