Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Creeping PH

1. Back To Top    #1

Creeping PH

My current readings are:

FC: 4
    TA: 50-60 (it starts turning red at 5 drops, but the 6th drop makes it dark)
    CYA 70
    PH: somewhere between 7.9 and 8.1 as the test kit doesn't have any gradations between 7.8 and 8.2...
    SALT: 3460 (Pentair says 3400 is ideal...; so I'll be adding 40 lbs to get it back around 3600)

My PH readings keep creeping up, I'll get it right at 7.5 or 7.6 and then two or three days later it will be above 7.8. Should I raise my TA to increase buffering as 60-80 is recommended for SWGs? The TA was around 70 last week. I have my SWG set at the lowest setting (20%) as my timer doesn't have any trippers at the moment.

Thanks!

Al
    My Pool: IG 31k Gallon vinyl liner (41'x16' w/ 12'x16' "L" leg; avg depth 6' in main area, 3' in leg), Pentair IC40 SWG, Polaris 380 Cleaner, Pool-o-matic auto filler, TF-100 Test Kit w/ Taylor K1766 Salt Test, Sand Filter, 1.5 HP Pentair SuperFlo VS (#342001) variable speed pump, Rheem/ Raypak 266A.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Creeping PH

The SWG causes the pH to rise, that is normal. If you raise the TA, the pH will rise faster. You could try lowering the TA a little more to see if the pH stabilizes.

Do you have any aeration like waterfalls or spillover? They also contribute to rising pH.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Creeping PH

OK. Thanks! And, no, I don't have any waterfalls or the like. Since it isn't rising that rapidly, I'm thinking that I should just stick to adjusting the PH up with acid for now. Maybe next year when I open the pool, I'll leave the TA a bit lower.

Best--

Al
    My Pool: IG 31k Gallon vinyl liner (41'x16' w/ 12'x16' "L" leg; avg depth 6' in main area, 3' in leg), Pentair IC40 SWG, Polaris 380 Cleaner, Pool-o-matic auto filler, TF-100 Test Kit w/ Taylor K1766 Salt Test, Sand Filter, 1.5 HP Pentair SuperFlo VS (#342001) variable speed pump, Rheem/ Raypak 266A.