New Vinyl Pool in the Buckeye state!

Jul 2, 2012
Ohio
So we finally started our pool project :whoot: . Our PB is about 3-4 weeks behind because of the rain and weather here in Ohio this summer. I thought we would be swimming by the first week in August, but it wasn't meant to be. I did my research and talked to 4 different builders and ended up going with the best! I personally know a couple people he has installed and I also volunteer at a summer camp where he built the pool.

To prep I removed 15 large Maple. Oak and the biggest sassafras tree I have ever seen. I also cut down and HAND SPLIT all of the wood myself, about 10 cords so far. The trees were over hanging the area for the pool and were just mostly unsightly. I have plans to do some landscaping up there and needed room for my hog pit (for all the pool parties coming up :party: ). I had the company doing the excavation come out a day early and pull all the stumps for me. As they dug the pool I had them leave the dirt on the hill where the stumps were so that I can rent a bobcat and grade/level the area later.

Pool Details:
Fort Wayne Elite Polymer
Grecian 18'6" X 36'6"
Vinyl Liner
Deep End - Diving Board
Hayward 1HP Super Pump
Hayward Cartrige Filter
2 Returns
One Skimmer
8' Steps
Hayward Color Logic LED light

Layout
PoolLayout02_zpsb83d8b49.jpg

PoolLayout01_zps75f2892d.jpg

The Big Dig (you can see the area where the stumps were and now the dirt is!)
PoolDig01_zpsaa3f6f60.jpg

PoolDig02_zps893b7631.jpg

PoolDig03_zps9baac66f.jpg

More pics to follow!

duraleigh said:
After splitting 10 cords of wood, I am surprised you have the strength to get up out of the hospital bed. :shock: :shock:

That's not a job for sissies! Very ambitious. :goodjob:

It was a process not an event. I dropped the trees last fall and then piled up the wood and worked on it over the winter. I try to do all of my own work when I can. The pool is the first project I have ever contracted out. I wanted to tackle it myself but decided to have the pros do it. I have to live with the results for a long time, so I want to make sure it's as close to perfect as possible.

Unfortunately the Ohio weather got the best of my install yesterday. The PB got the walls up but by the time I got home everything was tarped over and a storm was rolling in. The weather is supposed to clear up later this morning, so hopefully they can get the sump in today and the footers poured. I'll update the pics once there is progress.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
BB - Is the white circle in the deep-end a drain? I ask because it looks like there is only one. If it is a drain, for the required anti-entrapment feature there are usually either two circular drains separated by say 2-3' and plumbed together or one longer rectangular drain. I am no expert but it was just an observation.

amytude said:
I need to update mine...we are also building in Ohio. What part of the state are you in? The rain totally put us sooo behind in our build, but what can you do about that?

We are close to the PA border (but buckeyes to the bone!). I was raised in Canton and we're about 40 minutes east of there now. The Ohio weather is never very good, but this year has been the worst! I thought we would be swimming by the end of the first week in August, but everything is behind schedule. Our PB is not messing around, we have had pretty good weather this week and there have been a few nights where he works right up till dark. That makes for a long day when you start at 7am. I've got a few more updated pics to post. The electric work will be finished tomorrow so I'll be running the equipment by end of day on Wednesday!

I haven't posted pictures in a few days because I've been busy. I decided that in order to do the electric right it was going to be over my head. I had the job started and decided to go in a different direction to allow for landscape lights, and some other accessories later down the road. So, I have a friend who is an electrician who came out and worked with me to make sure everything was up to code and done properly. I decided to put a sub panel in by my equipment pad for the pump, pool light and lighting. I also put the pump on a timer. We have all of the electrical done and the pump and light work like a champ!!! I'll post some pics of the equipment shortly, but for now here is an update:

We have water! Since the electric is done and everything is properly grounded we've been swimming in the pool a couple of times!!! Concrete decking is being poured today!

PoolFilling01_zps0ecb12e2.jpg

PoolFilling02_zpsd6059404.jpg

PoolFilling03_zpsb2f564ed.jpg

PoolDecking01_zps09eb53d8.jpg

duraleigh said:
Lookin' good. Very smart to use that rock backfill. :lol:

I had one builder tell me they don't backfill their pool walls. but if I wanted to shovel some dirt around before they poor concrete I could. They had some "support" that the concrete decking sat on. Once I heard that the conversation was over.

So the build is on the home stretch. The concrete was poured last week and the family came over this weekend and we had a cook out and pool party. The diving board, ladder, hand rails and basketball hoop were all set in the sockets last night....that's when we encountered our first problem.

The sockets for the basketball hoop are not square with the coping. The pool builder feels that one of the concrete guys must have hit it with a wheel barrow. I was skeptical at first but after looking at the situation I am leaning towards agreeing. It's only off about a 1/2" but it is enough to be obvious when looking at the legs of the hoop. Let me first say that I have complete confidence that my builder will make it right, even if he has to rip out some concrete. He has a couple of things he is going to try to square everything up before he goes to the drastic measures of pulling out the pad where hoop sits. He wants to make it right and I am sure that he will. He has been tremendous to work with through this whole project. I'll update the thread once it's resolved.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.