Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Newbie to the forums...

1. Back To Top    #1

Newbie to the forums...

Hello,

Just installed my first pool last month (July) and my brother-n-law told me about this site. Great info. Thought I'd stop by and introduce myself. I grew up with an in-ground pool and my wife never had a pool so I got us a above ground 18' round for her birthday. My friend and I put it up in about 2 weekends with the help from a tractor for leveling. I'll take some pics and post soon. I'm in the process of plumbing up my Intex SWG with PVC piping so I'm hoping everything works out for me.

_Jason
    18' Round Heritage Pool
    Intex 2650 GPH Filter Pump & Salt Water System

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Newbie to the forums...

Welcome to the forum
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Welcome to the forum.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to TFP !

Spend sometime in pool school, lots of good Iinfo there. If you don't have a good test kit take a look at one if the ones we recommend. It's a must have to manage your pool.

Add your pool and equipment to your sig, it will help us help you.
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

5. Back To Top    #5

Welcome to TFP Jay! Glad to have you come by and check us out. Is your BIL a member here?
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

6. Back To Top    #6

Welcome to TFP!
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

7. Back To Top    #7

Congratulations on the new pool and welcome to TFP! That was a great gift to your wife as well. Can't wait to see pics of the install.

BayScoutTim
    BayScoutTim
    ---------------------------------------------------
    :: 28' round Doughboy AG (18,400 gallons) :: Hayward 1-1/2 hp Power-Flo Matrix pump :: Hayward Pro Series 21" top mount high-rate sand filter 65GPM :: Hayward Vari-Flo XL 7-way valve :: AquaBot Breeze 4WD :: TF-100 XL test kit :: SpeedStir magnetic stirrer ::

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks for all the welcomes.
    I've been reading the pool school info and been roaming the forums for info. I've got the TF100 test kit on my wish list so as soon as I get some cash I'll be getting one. I should have pics by the weekend.

Thanks again.
    18' Round Heritage Pool

9. Back To Top    #9

For the cost of one night on the town, you could have the TF-100.

Even though my sig says K-2006, I have added the components for the TF-100 (CYA test kit parts), the rest is essentially the same.

I can guarantee you will NOT regret the purchase of either of the recommended test kits, TF-100 being the better value for your $$.

When I started caring for this pool, while neighbor owned it, I tried with the cheap wallyworld kits. No go. Not enough accuracy, and not high enough for FC. Pool was a mess and stayed that way. Neighbor said "I quit", and gave us the pool. Between here and another forum's recommendations, I bit the bullet and bought the K-2006. Pool has been clear ever since, with the exception of one fight with mustard algae.

Believe me, I know what the "too much month for the money" is all about. Get the kit.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

10. Back To Top    #10

Well here are photos....had some problems with the pump so I had to get another under warranty and now everything is up and running smooth....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    18' Round Heritage Pool

11. Back To Top    #11

I'd swim in it!
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

12. Back To Top    #12

Welcome to TFP!

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie_R
    Get the kit.
    Second that!

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie_R
    I'd swim in it!
    ...And that!
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

13. Back To Top    #13

Welcome to tfp, PoolBoyJay

Nice diy install

I would disconnect the copper bars for the intex swg. I believe it is the first connector located between the pump and the filter. No need for copper ions in a properly chlorinated pool. Copper can stain pool surfaces and turn blond hair green.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

14. Back To Top    #14

Thanks for all the compliments.
    18' Round Heritage Pool

15. Back To Top    #15

Yep, it looks really nice Jay.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem