New Member jimmyrn

Aug 18, 2013
Hello all. This is my first post on TFP but I've been reading alot of the posts thanks to google searchs. This summer
Is my first full season as a pool owner and I threw the trichlor and dichlor out about 2 months ago. My CYA hit @ 145 ppm. Bleach and an occasional couple of pounds of shock after a bbq where my 19,000 gallon fiberglass pool welcomes about 20 swimmers in an afternoon. I have read how some never see a problem with pucks and it must be because of light swimmer load amongst other issues. The contractor installed a pool frog and at first when the water temp was low it sustained fine. Then as june temps rose and the pool became popular thats when the fight started. I would shock with a 4 in 1 shock that was triclor on top of the bac pacs which use triclor as well.

Hi Jimmyrn and Welcome to TFP! :wave:

Maintaining a pool with a CYA of 145 ppm is exceedingly difficult. You are looking at a water replacement (partial drain & refill) of about 65-70%. That's the only way to lower CYA. The recent past use of trichlor & dichlor have caused this. After you do the water replacement, I would use plain unscented liquid bleach as your chlorine source. Save the pucks for occasional use such as when on vacation (that's what I do). Not sure where you are located, but if your water table is high, you may need to drain in increments.

Also, if you don't already have one, you will need a good test kit to properly manage your pool. Here is a comparison of the Recommended Test Kits.

I would also check out these articles to give you more information on recommended pool chemicals and the chlorine/CYA relationship: ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry, Chlorine CYA Chart, and Recommended Pool Chemicals.

Though not an article, I would familiarize myself with the Pool Calculator as well.

Finally, a couple of administrative details:
  • 1. Please add the state and nearest city in which you live to your profile. Don’t need specific town, nearest major city is fine. Your climate is important to the advice you receive. By doing this, it will appear in all your posts without you having to enter it each time.
    2. Suggest adding information about your pool and related equipment in your signature. By doing this, it will automatically appear in all your posts so you do not have to re-enter it each time. If you have a SWG, please include those letters in your signature so it stands out as the advice for SWG vs. non-SWG is often different.
Here's how to do both of the above: Adding location to your profile and pool info to your signature.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.