Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help with readings please

1. Back To Top    #1

Help with readings please

Ok just used the tf-100 to test my water. My FC =0.25 and my CC=2.5 for aTC of 2.75. My CYA has been at least 100. I stopped using trichlor. The pool calculator says I need over 500 oz of bleach is that right? I'm sure my readings Re correct. I thought if CYA was so high that the chlorine would not be that low. I'm new to this please advise
    Thanks
    36,000 gal IG vinyl. Haywood pump and heater Hayward DE filter blue diamond robot. Hayward Aqua Rite SWG AQR-15

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Help with readings please

What was your FC sample size? 10 ml or 25ml (almost full)

How many drops did you add to make the pink go away
    I then assume you added the 5 drops (pink again) and then how many more drops to make the pink go clear on the second test? 2.5 sounds like 5 R-0871 drops.

I ask as 0.25 FC is not a value you can measure with this kit.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes 10 ml. I will re test and let you know.
    36,000 gal IG vinyl. Haywood pump and heater Hayward DE filter blue diamond robot. Hayward Aqua Rite SWG AQR-15

4. Back To Top    #4

What size water sample are you using?

The instructions say to use 10ml of pool water, resulting in FC results in increments of .5.

The instructions do have a printing error: after it says "Multiply the number of drops you added x 0.5" it incorrectly states: "(i.e. 14 drops x .05 = 7ppm)".

This error in the instructions has confused others as well.....

The instruction card should be corrected, or there should be a little note included that clarifies the mistake, IMO.
    8,000 gallon, in ground, fiberglass pool with a cartridge filter.

5. Back To Top    #5

Guy I used 4 drops and the solution turned clear then 5 drops of 003 and it remained clear. So I guess my FC is 2 as well as tc. True?

6. Back To Top    #6

Yes. We typically report FC = 2 and CC = 0.

Since the FC is way too low for your high CYA, you could have something growing in the water.

Try the CYA test again with a 50/50 mix of pool and tap water to start, add the reagent, then double the reading. Then you will want to replace water to get the CYA into the recommended range. Followed by at least the OCLT to confirm if there is something in the water and quite possibly the need for the SLAM process.

EDIT: and 500 oz will raise the FC in your pool by about 8.8ppm. ... depends what the Now and Target levels you entered into the calculator as to whether that was the desired result.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

And my water is crystal clear. I know I have to drain and replace. I am waiting till we close the pool in a few weeks. Meanwhile , do I add the recommended bleach?

8. Back To Top    #8

Yes, your reading are

FC 2.0
    CC 0.0

for a 10 ML sample with a scoop of powder, 4 drops of R-0871 to turn clear and then 5 drops of R-003 and it stayed clear.

OK, so yo have 2FC, this is WAY too low for a CYA of 100+.

OK...on to the next step:
    What does the water look like?
    Where are you located?
    How much swim season do you have left this year?
    Is clean fill water easy and inexpensive?
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

9. Back To Top    #9

I missed your comments I am going to let Jason carry on... I am about to get busy here.
    -- Guy --

10. Back To Top    #10

Jbizzle....

Couldnt you also add 1/4 pool water, 1/4 cya reagent, and 50% tap water to test when cya is high?.....and then double the results.

This would save you 1/4 of the cya reagent.

Mod Edit: Responses to this post were split to HERE after veering off-topic. jblizzle
    8,000 gallon, in ground, fiberglass pool with a cartridge filter.

11. Back To Top    #11

50/50 mix of cya reads 90 so that's 180 yikes!

12. Back To Top    #12

OK ....... according to the chart: pool-school/chlorine_cya_chart_shock

if your CYA were 100ppm, you need to maintain the FC above 7ppm at all times to prevent algae from starting. But, you said the CYA may be higher, so you need to do the dilluted CYA test to find out how high the FC should be.

I would certainly add at least 4 of the 121oz 8.25% bleach bottles immediately to get the FC up some and then verify the CYA.

You are going to have to try to just limp through the next few weeks on hope before your drain for closing. And learn for next year to not use so much trichlor.

@GP ... I don't think it works that way. There is a discussion about this somewhere.

@ Thesil, well with a CYA of 180ppm, the minimum FC is 14ppm according to the calculator ... that is going to be tough. And remember the pH test is invalid when FC > 10ppm
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

13. Back To Top    #13

Jason yes I added 3 jugs 0f 8.25 that's all I have Have to run to store for more Season is almost over for us in nj Then I will drain and replace about 50%

14. Back To Top    #14

You really need to replace about 75% of the water. But no sense doing that before the spring. Maybe you will get "lucky" and have the CYA reduce/disappear over the winter.
    Jason, TFP Moderator