Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Piping Replaced - when to start?

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Piping Replaced - when to start?

I just replaced the 2 plumbing lines running between my:

1) pump and filter
    2) filter and heater

How long should I wait before turning on the pump and heater? I want to make sure the primer and pipe cement are fully bonded.
    20,000 Gallons Inground Vinyl Pool, 1 skimmer, 1 floor drain, 4 return jets, 1 vacuum intake
    Hayward Vari-Flo XL sand filter (SM2506T), Hayward EZ Flow Pump (SP-3107X10), Emerson Pump Motor (EB228), Hayward Comfortzone NG Heater, Hayward Chlorinator (CL220)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool Piping Replaced - when to start?

What does the instructions on the containers say?
    There are so many different brands of cement with so many different cure times it's impossible for us to say how long to wait.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

I'm pretty sure the PVC cement cans typically say 24 hours...better honor that, I think. I've blown bubbly glue out of joints before when I was impatient.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

4. Back To Top    #4

Really, I should read more closely. I thought you were good after a couple hours at most. Pretty sure I did not wait a full day after redoing my pad plumbing or adding the SWG.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Yeah, that's what mine said...which I only read after I was doing some irrigation plumbing and pressurized it after about a half hour, and blew blue glue out of several of the joints. That was 60 psi and a pool is not, but waiting one day isn't going to hurt anything.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

6. Back To Top    #6

I actually have some that says an hour, but I also have some that says 24 hours. So there's a wide variety in cure times.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks, guys. The can I used only said "quick drying" and didn't mention curing time. Therefore, I'll wait 24 hours just to be safe.
    20,000 Gallons Inground Vinyl Pool, 1 skimmer, 1 floor drain, 4 return jets, 1 vacuum intake
    Hayward Vari-Flo XL sand filter (SM2506T), Hayward EZ Flow Pump (SP-3107X10), Emerson Pump Motor (EB228), Hayward Comfortzone NG Heater, Hayward Chlorinator (CL220)