High TA and Ph levels

Jul 12, 2013
Hello,

Just tested my pool with the TF-100 test kit and my My readings are as followed.....

FC 3.5
CC .05
TA 165
CYA 30
PH 8.2 (or higher)

My question is is it safe to swim with my TA being 165 and my Ph being 8.2? I have read how to lower the TA and that will in turn lower the ph? Still kind of confused how to do that...this is all new to me...I use the BBB method.
The weather has been warm the past few days...today it is 90 out. We have not used our pool in awhile because of a cold summer. We are located about 30 min from Chicago.

You can get your pH down pretty easily. Use muriatic acid. It will also lower your TA a bit. When ph rises again add more acid. It is safe to swim with your high TA. About 11 ounces of 20 baume muriatic acid should bring your ph to about 7.5. Are you familiar with the pool calculator? You also state your ph might be higher than 8.2. I would add 14 ounces to target a pH of 7.2 in that case. That's still within good range. Based on a 3,000 gallon volume.

Thank you! Yes I'm familiar with pool calculator :)
My girls wanted to go swimming and wasn't sure if it was ok to let them swim in the pool for a little before I ran my errands to get some muriatic acid. Never had to lower my TA or Ph levels so wasnt exactly sure how to do it either. Thanks for your help!! :-D

Alexandra

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Lowe's, Home Depot or a farm store should carry it. At Lowe's don't buy the "Safer" brand/variety, it's a lower percentage and therefore more expensive for the equivalent amount of actual MA.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.