Added a Stenner pump to my EasyTouch, DONE- updated 1st post

Hawk

Aug 9, 2011
Southern California
I'm about to purchase a Stenner pump and tank setup and wanted to know how I would incorporate this in with an EasyTouch system? My biggest concern is how I would program the ET to turn on the Stenner a certain amount of time only once per day? That way if the pump is turned on again later in the day, say for the spa, it doesn't dose again. I've searched here and found it can be done, but no details on how exactly they did it.
I'm finding based on my daily testing that I am using approx 20 ounces a day to keep my FC at 6.0
My VF pump runs for 7 hours each day (6am till 1pm)
This Stenner has an adjustable head. I'm not concerned too much as to what pump settings to use, more so on how the EasyTouch is programmed to turn on for x amount of minutes once per day.

Thanks

Just an update:

Everything is installed and working great. I used a new 85MHP17 pump with a new 15 gallon drum from Uline.
The Stenner pump integrated in with the EasyTouch with no issues. I now have the pool pump turning on at 8pm, starts injecting at 8:10, finishes injecting at 8:30 then the pool pump runs for another hour and a half to disperse the 12.5% chlorine.
Pump pdf says it should dose 1.51 ounces per minute, but I measured mine prior to hooking up the injector and at a setting of 10 (adjustable head) I'm getting a dosage of 1.75 ounces per minute. I've been measuring my chlorine consumption for the past 20 days or so and have been using an average of 33 ounces per day. I'm certain there will be a learning curve, going in and out of seasons, but looking forward to that! Paid less than $200 for everything. Pump was $150 and tank from Uline was $44 picked up near me.
First picture shows where I tapped the elbow to place the injector. Tapping it was very easy and is leak free. I recently installed a new VF pump and would have placed a 2 inch tee inline had I known this was in my future. Not wanting to cut PVC again, I figured I'd just attempt tapping the threads and hope for the best. Piece of cake!
Second picture shows the pump mounted (rain roof for pump is ordered and on the way) and the tank for the chlorine placed.
[attachment=1:1798i4e9]IMG_0735.JPG[/attachment:1798i4e9]
[attachment=0:1798i4e9]IMG_0737.JPG[/attachment:1798i4e9]

Attachments

• IMG_0735.JPG
    IMG_0735.JPG
    288.6 KB · Views: 496
  • IMG_0737.JPG
    IMG_0737.JPG
    263.9 KB · Views: 457
Re: Adding a Stenner pump and 7.5 gallon tank, how to EasyTo

I think that the way that the EasyTouch would be intended to be used with the stenner pumps would be to include the IntelliChem without pumps. Then you would hook up the pumps to the relays on the IntelliChem. This would give you the complete control that you want using the programing built into the IntelliChem. This is what I looked at doing at one point. But there is not that much of a price difference between the version with pumps and without. I decided to go with just the IntelliChem with built-in pumps.

I wouldn't expect the EasyTouch to do anything other than to turn the Stenner pump on for a certain amount of time then off once a day. Nothing more. I would continue to adjust pump dosage based on what my test kit results.
My last resort will be to call Pentair tech support. I'm sure this can be done, but as we all know the manual is not much help. I have a couple days before the pump arrives and hooking it up looks easy and straight forward.

KenGood said:
You can probably do that with just using one of the relays on the EasyTouch.

My thoughts as well. My issue is in programming and how to incorporate it into my existing setting.

Is it a "feature"? A "circuit"? Maybe neither, but just "add" relay #4 for x minutes?

I am betting the easiest is add relay 4, but it will be interesting to see if the Pentair rep. will be helpful. I think they will want to get you to include the IntelliChem.

I use the AuxExtra circuit on my 4 line EasyTouch. I think my PB had to add an extra relay on the right end of the relay bay for that to be able to be used. The AuxExtra line is driven by the solar circuit, assuming it's not in use.

From page 4 of my EasyTouch Pool and Spa Control System Wireless Control Panel:

Down arrow button (Aux Extra): This "extra auxiliary" circuit shares the solar circuit and is only available if the solar ouput plug (J17) on the motherboard is not being used for solar equipment.

From what I remember the PB wired J17 to the activation pins of the newly added relay.

Note I have both a regular timer (51 minutes for 45 oz of chlorine) and an egg timer (26 min for ~23 oz chlorine). The latter is mostly just to limit how much chlorine will end up in the pool if the downarrow is pressed accidentally, but it's also handy for adding 1ppm chlorine if needed.

Thanks Pete. That's very similar to what Pentair tech told me today.

I can set an auxiliary schedule to turn whichever relay I choose on for any amount of minutes. I would then need to schedule my pump to run at that time as well.

Basically, set up an additional pump schedule to run for two hours, 6pm to 8pm. Then I would also have an auxiliary schedule to turn the Stenner on at 6:15 pm for 15 minutes. The pool pump would then have 1 hour 30 minutes run time to disperse the chlorine prior to shut down for the evening.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Re: Added a Stenner pump to my EasyTouch, DONE- updated 1st

Hawk I have my Stenner pump on the way. I want to set mine up just like yours. Can you show me a picture of the inside of your EasyTouch panel. I need to figure how to wire it for power then how to control it for a schedule.
Thanks in advance!

Nice install. May I ask why you went with a 15 gallon barrel rather than a 5 gallon barrel (Uline $19)? At 20 ounces of dosing per day, 5 gallons would last you 32 days. The 15 gallon tank, would last 96 days, or 3-1/4 months. I ask because wouldn't chlorine freshness be a concern in the 15-gallon tank? Sure you go to the store less often to buy chlorine, but now you're carrying upwards of 125 pounds of jugs back from your vehicle and back to the pool area.

Please forgive my question. I am just trying to figure out my own Stenner pump install. Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Not sure if Hawk will ever respond. He has no private messaging available, and he hasn't been active since October 2014. :confused:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.