Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Replacing Brass Gate valves with Jandy Neverlube valve.

1. Back To Top    #1

Replacing Brass Gate valves with Jandy Neverlube valve.

Hello Everyone,
    I'm going to be swapping out 2 NIBCO T113 gate valves for a Jandy Neverlube. The valves are missing handles and one of the valves seems to be stripped out. The two valves are on the supply side, one valve to the skimmer and the other to the main drain.
    I'm planning on cutting the pipe below the valve, add a sleeve and bring the pipe up to pump level. I'd like to be able to add in 2-ells like in the original setup. They are capped on the top, nice if I get a clog to run a snake or such. (Has come in handy in the past.)

The valves I'm replacing are on the left side.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
    Bob
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Replacing Brass Gate valves with Jandy Neverlube valve.

I don't see anything wrong with keeping the T's if you found use for them. I personally like the regular jandy valve that has the grease cup attached to it, just my opinion though.
    -Kevin
    X-Pert Pool Service
    x-pertpool.com
    X-Pert Pool on Facebook and @XPertPoolServic on Twitter
    22,000 gal / 16' x 32' / Vinyl / Hayward s244t /Pentair SuperFlo 1 hp

3. Back To Top    #3

I guess there is nothing wrong with keeping the cleanouts as long as they have been working for you. Just be aware that they do appear to be drain, waste, vent fittings not the pressure fillings that should be used. I just installed 3 Jandy never lubes on my system. Great valves.
    17x37 IG vinyl, Grecian style, 20k gal, Hayward DE4800, Hayward Super Pump II 1 hp, Rainbow 320 Chlorinator, 6 Vortex 4x10 solar panels, Aquabot Turbo, Dolphin M5, loop-loc mesh cover

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

I see no harm at all in using DWV fittings on the suction side.

Actually, I used DWV throughout my irrigation system (psi about 40) and it's been leakproof in excess of 12 years.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

I have no problem using those DWV fittings on pool stuff as long as you are careful and glue them good but I do know in NJ a new pool will fail if the inspector sees them.
    17x37 IG vinyl, Grecian style, 20k gal, Hayward DE4800, Hayward Super Pump II 1 hp, Rainbow 320 Chlorinator, 6 Vortex 4x10 solar panels, Aquabot Turbo, Dolphin M5, loop-loc mesh cover

6. Back To Top    #6

Using those Ts and cleanouts is actually a really slick idea. I like it!
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

7. Back To Top    #7

Got the pieces together but then realized the bottom of the valves are lower than the top of the water. That could cause a slight dilemma, with pool water rushing out the pipes. Was going through the procedures and it occurred to me.

So I'm thinking a rag stuffed into a plastic bag on the main drain and the skimmer basket to keep the water out, then a turkey baster to lower the water in the pipe when I make the cuts.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida