Herb's Pool suggests increased POLLEN causing Algae ?

cody21

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 27, 2012
Lafayette, Ca / USA
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Title says it all ... the claim being that this year was a "heavier pollen season" that is causing Algae grief for more pool owners.

Any truth to that? Is Pollen one of this organics that cause or contribute to the problem?

As an organic, pollen can use up some chlorine. However, as long as you're maintaining sufficient fc for the cya, you won't get algae.

Pollen can make it harder to detect algae, especially mustard algae. This can allow an algae outbreak get farther along before being identified and responded to.

People who don't know about fc/cya tend to blame a variety of things for recurrent algae outbreaks. Pollen, rain, heat, phosphates, sunspots, friday the 13th, a full moon, super mutant algae etc.

Note: Just to be safe, I do bump up the fc if there is a full moon on a friday the 13th.

Note: Just to be safe, I do bump up the fc if there is a full moon on a friday the 13th.
My tin foil hat seems to have a positive effect as well.....probably not as good as FC but it's fun to wear.

On a serious note, JamesW brings up a great point that is one of my pet peeves......super mutant algae that is somehow immune to all your correct pool management. forget it, folks, it's not true.

The algae in your pool is just like the algae everywhere else and chlorine will kill it. You may have neglected your pool longer than others so you have MORE algae but chlorine is still the answer.

The water in your pool is just like the water in our pools, too. H20

Kill ALL the organics and filter out the debris and your pool will be crystal clear.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.