LifeTime Supporter
Jun 27, 2012
Lafayette, Ca / USA
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
After attempting adjustment after adjustment on our (dated) Polaris 280, still can't get it not to get hung up in corners or the steps .. and trust me, we have adjusted the rear Jet to about every position possible. I also replaced the 3 wheels and the "backup" spray device - spending $100 already. But it really isn't doing a perfect job of cleaning some of the stuff that drops into our pool since it gets stuck for periods in the corners/steps. I'm in analysis paralysis mode on what to do without wasting a lot of money.

- Would you REPLACE the until with something more technically current? With what?

- Would you buy a separate Vacuum attachment & hose and just hand-vac the pool from time to time? if so, what is the Better/Best Vacuum head/device? would you go Robotic, or just something hand-held?

I'm not opposed to spend some more money to get this issue solved ... but I don't want to spend money just to find out that it's not much better & I still have to spend more for another solution.

Thanks in advance.

Man, I have been there. Adjusting the "exhaust" water flow direction and seeing the affect used to be one of my major meditation routines at the pool each season. This year it got so bad, I had a closer look. In my case, one of the drive "chains" inside the device had broken, and one of the 3 wheels was not powered as a result. I needed to take the whole Dang thing apart to replace the $5 part, but YouTube videos helped. Problem was solved.

Is that possibly happening for you? Otherwise, it seems like this kind of issue can be more broadly an issue of traction. Are your walls clean? Is your pump operating properly? Is the hose filter clean? All these things can rob the device of traction and lead to it getting stuck. Hope these idea can help.

Thanks for the quick response ... I'll take a closer look .. From what you're saying, it sounds like all 3 wheels MUST be rotating at the same time??? hmm ... not sure yet - will take closer look when it comes on in about an hour.. Do you have the link to the Youtube video? It really doesn't do much cleaning of the walls - it sort of climbs a bit due to the wheels spinning, but never is "flush" with the wall to actually provide any cleaning .. So I brush them weekly, or so. This actually is brand new Fiberglass (sprayed on in January after major repairs). Yes, hose filter is clean & pump is working properly.

OK, after closer examination, you hit the nail on the head. The issue is the bearings are worn out on the 2 LEFT side wheels. When it gets "stuck" in the corners, and won't crawl up the wall, I can actually hear the bearings slipping and the wheels stop moving. So I ordered the 4-pack of bearings and will just replace the 2 wheels bearings for now ... I found the YoutUbe link for instructions on how to do this. Thanks again ... hopefully this saved me a bunch of money ...

Also make sure that the rubber tires have not gotten thin over time, if so replace them. Also look at the c16 small white wheel, they often wear out and do not provide proper transfer of motion. Make sure the turbine shaft is still in good shape. you can pull off the body of the polaris, loosen the screws on the bacl axle/back tire, and push that small wheel down as far as it will go, then move the back wheel forward. will put more pressure on the back tire to provide proper movement. The small nipple jet works best at the 11 0r 2 oclock position. if you still feel you are not getting good drive or power close of the tail sweep and see if it gets any better. you can even plug it temporarily to see if it solves the problem.

Thank you so much for the additional input ... I've in fact replaced all 3 tires & after all the recent stuff I've done, it still isn't tracking well ... just doesn't get "stuck" anymore ... I think you're right about the C16 small white wheel ... it DOES seem to slip - and we've swapped the front & rear wheel - the one had the 'grooves' pretty chewed down, causing it to 'slip'. Thanks again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.