Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How do you add liquid chlorine?

1. Back To Top    #1
    Clermont, Florida (that's near Disney World)

How do you add liquid chlorine?

I know this seems like a very elementary question but I have searched and not found any recommendations on this site. As a reformed Puck user I have not been schooled in the techniques of adding liquid chlorine.

I have been taking my 2.5 gal jugs and walking the perimeter of the pool with them, usually start with a a quart or so into the skimmer and then slowly pouring around the edges, with the bulk going into the deep end. This is laborious with a full jug and I have dripped some on my shoes from time to time.

It occurred to me that I should use a a pale and mix with water too as you always do with dry chemicals.

Thanks for your (as always) quick replies!

Peter
    1) 21,000 gallons
    2) DE
    3) IG (in ground)
    4) Vinyl
    5) Hayward 1.5 hp DE 3600 72 GPM

Taylor K-2006
    STA-RITE Great White GW9500

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How do you add liquid chlorine?

Pour slowly in front of a return with pump running, in the deep end.

ETA: Here's the link in Pool School pool-school/recommended_pool_chemicals
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

It's recommended all over the site when adding most any of the chemicals to pour them in front of a running return. The exceptions are salt and CYA.

You should know how much you need to add based on testing and should be measuring that amount with some container and pouring it in front of a return.

How are you getting the proper amount in the pool by trying to pour it out of the large container?

I use an injection system to inject the chlorine so I just pour the bleach into a large drum.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

It is best to add the chlorine in front of a return jet. I use a plastic measuring cup (32 oz) and pour it slowly in front of a return. My definition of slowly is that the pour stream coming out of the cup is about the width of a standard pencil.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    It's recommended all over the site when adding most any of the chemicals to pour them in front of a running return. The exceptions are salt and CYA.

You should know how much you need to add based on testing and should be measuring that amount with some container and pouring it in front of a return.

How are you getting the proper amount in the pool by trying to pour it out of the large container?

I use an injection system to inject the chlorine so I just pour the bleach into a large drum.
    Sweet, an injection system to inject the chlorine! My method is reading the lines on the side of the jug, low tech I know! I have been pouring a good portion in front of all my returns as well. I see now that I have been adding it too fast and in places not recommended. I will repent and correct my ways.

Thanks again for all the replies!
    1) 21,000 gallons
    2) DE
    3) IG (in ground)
    4) Vinyl

Taylor K-2006

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    It's recommended all over the site when adding most any of the chemicals to pour them in front of a running return. The exceptions are salt and CYA. .
    Amazing how when you are reading your brain absorbs the information that you are seeking at the time and disregards large portions of the rest. I realize I do this frequently in conversation as well.
    1) 21,000 gallons
    2) DE
    3) IG (in ground)
    4) Vinyl

Taylor K-2006

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by BoDarville
    It is best to add the chlorine in front of a return jet. I use a plastic measuring cup (32 oz) and pour it slowly in front of a return. My definition of slowly is that the pour stream coming out of the cup is about the width of a standard pencil.
    One last question about this. I like to understand why something is best. What is wrong with pouring slowly into the skimmer? Would this not be equivalent to pouring in front of all return jets at once? (technically it would be if I set my pump to recycle and then did this. I realize that the liquid has to pass through the filter first and this might block some of the active ingredients. Maybe I just answered my own question.)
    1) 21,000 gallons
    2) DE
    3) IG (in ground)
    4) Vinyl

Taylor K-2006

8. Back To Top    #8

The TFP recommendations are for ALL pools so we cannot make any assumptions. We KNOW adding liquid chlorine by slowly pouring it in front of a running pump works... Every time.

Pouring it into a skimmer may be safe in some pools, if you pour it slowly enough and you continue to filter and your pump and filter, gaskets are not adversely affected by high FC. Too many conditionals and could cause a problem.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by techguy
    The TFP recommendations are for ALL pools so we cannot make any assumptions. We KNOW adding liquid chlorine by slowly pouring it in front of a running pump works... Every time.

Pouring it into a skimmer may be safe in some pools, if you pour it slowly enough and you continue to filter and your pump and filter, gaskets are not adversely affected by high FC. Too many conditionals and could cause a problem.
    Makes sense! Appreciate it!

I just got done pouring a quart from a plastic measuring cup in front of my returns. This was easy compared to what I was doing so thanks for all the tips and explanations!

Now if only my R-0871 would get here! (Out for delivery with USPS according to tracker - thanks Dave!)
    1) 21,000 gallons
    2) DE
    3) IG (in ground)
    4) Vinyl

Taylor K-2006

10. Back To Top    #10

Good luck with your USPS package! Mine never came! Out for delivery, then not delivered, then POOF gone. $17.58 out the window! *grrr*
    18' x 48" (42" water depth) Intex Metal Frame 6,700 Gallons
    Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.0 HP pump
    Hayward Pro Series S166T Sand Filter
    Original Intex Floating Skimmer

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by Beens
    Good luck with your USPS package! Mine never came! Out for delivery, then not delivered, then POOF gone. $17.58 out the window! *grrr*
    Yeah, I remember reading about that over here. Sending up prayers right now...
    1) 21,000 gallons
    2) DE
    3) IG (in ground)
    4) Vinyl

Taylor K-2006

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by Beens
    Package arrived with everything in it! So sorry you had that bad experience Beens. Off to test now...
    1) 21,000 gallons
    2) DE
    3) IG (in ground)
    4) Vinyl

Taylor K-2006

13. Back To Top    #13

For regular daily maintenance doses of bleach (which for me are about a quart daily), i pour from a bucket in one quick dump, in front of a return, about 2 feet from the edge of my pool. Then i take the bucket, scoop up about 2 or three quarts of pool water, and throw it on top of the area that i dumped the bleach. I do that twice, so as to churn up the water and mix it up a bit.

I havent had any problem doing it that way.
    8,000 gallon, in ground, fiberglass pool with a cartridge filter.