Need winter cover help for oval agp with deck around half.

diontr

May 7, 2013
I just installed a 15x30 above ground and built a large deck around half of it. The deck covers the full front (30') and one full end (15'). There is no space between the top rail of pool and the deck. My problem is that I'm not sure what to do about a winter cover? Please help! If anyone has pictures of their similar situation, that would be great. If anyone is wondering, I'm working on a cabana in the back corner of deck.

Attachments

• photo (2).JPG
    photo (2).JPG
    148.6 KB · Views: 341
  • photo (3).JPG
    photo (3).JPG
    160.7 KB · Views: 324
  • photo (4).JPG
    photo (4).JPG
    163.4 KB · Views: 313
Re: Need winter cover help for oval agp with deck around hal

Welcome to TFP.

Can you post a pic of the pool and deck. Maybe we can figure out what would work best if you can. My initial thought is to lay the cover on the deck and use water bags to secure it.

If you can access the underside of the deck, you have a few choices.
1. There's enough of a gap between the top rail and the deck to get a winter cover in there. I have the same basic design and I get the cover in the gap and then hang half water filled bleach jugs under it.

2. You can hang half filled jugs around the clear sides and use water tubes on the deck to secure the cover.

3. You could install cover anchors in the deck to tie the cove to.

I'm sure there's more ways to do it also.

I have decking completely going around my pool and the spacing between deck and pool looks about the same as yours. I get under the deck while someone on the deck pushes the edge of cover through, and I gently pull the edge of the cover through the space. Sometimes it takes a little work to smooth the cover out so it doesn't bunch up, but it does eventually go through. I then hang old bleach bottles full of water on the grommets.

I had the EXACT same issue. I recessed some Stainless steel cargo tie downs along with some stainless steel carabiners and VOILA. works like a charm.

I will post some pictures tomorrow along with the links to the parts you will need. If you built the deck, you can recess these flush mount cargo tie downs.

Sorry for no reply, iv'e been on vaca, thanks for the info. Yes I built the deck and I def do not have enough space between top rail and decking to slide the cover through. If I recess the tie downs and strap the deck side of the cover, will I have an issue at the transition where the deck ends? At that point I can just hang water filled bottles from the grommets I suppose.?.? Any chance I could see those pics Freedbaby?

The steps are InnovaPlas "Blitmor Deck 5005". I love em. Only thing is I couldn't find Flanges/Cups to accommodate the stairs into the deck. I just cut a piece of PT decking and using a hole saw, cut a hole in the middle. I'll grab a pic for you.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

sorry for the delay, I forgot that I said I would post the pictures!

The tie downs and carabiners are all stainless steel and have been recessed into the wood deck so they are 100% flush. I started out by making myself a template so I would know exactly where to chisel. I started with a paddle bit that I marked so I would know exactly what depth to go to...the squared off side I then just chiseled out. I have a total of 15 of them and it took me about 2 hours to do all of them. They seem to be holding up very well, only one of them has a little rusty stain on it...but keep in mind this is also down on the coast.

Here is the information to the parts.

US Cargo Control is the company
Britni Graham (britni at clickstop dot com) was the contact, I am sure she will remember me...it took her a while to find these for me
the tie down part numbers are CUS-FLP304SS Flush Lift Pull - 304 Stainless Steel
the carabiner part numbers are SHOOK2.75 Snap Hook Carabiner SS T316 - 2-3/4" Length

If you guys have specific questions, feel free to PM me...if I had to do it all over again I would use these exact same parts. I am very happy with them.

9723096805_834c0d8743_b.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.