Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is it possible to have stable FC with algae?

1. Back To Top    #1

Is it possible to have stable FC with algae?

Kids hadn't used pool in a couple weeks because of cold temps. (Wisconsin). During this time I didn't look at the whole pool when I'd take readings- just pushed the cover back enough to get water samples. I didn't suspect anything was wrong because pH had been stable and FC only dipped low (around 3) when I hadn't checked levels for 3 days. Yesterday I pulled the cover off to find green/yellow/brown stuff sitting on the bottom of 50% of the pool on the side farthest from the filter. Colorful stuff felt gritty rather than slimy. FC was 3 and pH was 7.6, so I let the kids swim thinking it was pollen or some kind of sediment. All the "stuff" got completely stirred off the bottom and still hasn't settled yet. (It's been over 24 hours since being stirred up.) It left the water cloudy green and my pH went up to 7.8. Now I'm worried it's algae. But I haven't lost any chlorine in 29 hours! Could it be algae? I raised FC to shock level a couple hours ago just in case. I'm hoping my children don't become mutants now. Or that, if they do, they get stuck with the cool useful mutations that will give them superhero status in society.

FC 11
    pH 7.8
    TA 230
    CYA 25

1800 gallon, above ground, vinyl.

~ Celeste

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Is it possible to have stable FC with algae?

Colorful stuff felt gritty rather than slimy.
    Algae is never gritty. Any pool noodles left in the pool? They fall apart very quickly and can leave stuff on the floor but it's VERY colorful and won't cloud the pool. I would hold the FC at SLAM value until it clears. Perfectly fine to swim in a pool up to SLAM values....no harm and, promise, no additional appendages or superpowers.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Hmm. Okay. If I want to play it safe and assume it is algae, when would it be safe for swimming? Not until water is clear?

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by redceleste
    Hmm. Okay. If I want to play it safe and assume it is algae, when would it be safe for swimming? Not until water is clear?
    What is CC test result?

You should be able to clearly see swimmers under water. Can you post a pic?
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!