Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Approximate cost to replace plaster in pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Approximate cost to replace plaster in pool

Just bought the house and this is the first time I've owned a pool. Pool had been negelected because the house was a foreclosure. Plaster is stained from algae and leaves in the pool. Plus it is about 10 years old. My wife would like to have it redone with pebble tech but the quote we got was almost $8000 to do it so thats out. What would be a FAIR price for just having it redone in regular white plaster? And should I even try to see if an Acid wash will work? Pool cleaner quoted me $450 for that but I'm not sure if it will work?

Thanks
    My pool:
    Built 2004, 14K gal, IG plaster,Pentair WhisperFlo 2 HP pump(1 speed), Pentair FNS Plus DE filter,
    In Floor cleaning system, Attached Spa with Spillover seperate WhisperFlo pump for jets.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Approximate cost to replace plaster in pool

I would guess $5k +/- $1k ... greatly varies by location.

If it is just organic stains, those can be lightened/removed by maintaining elevated FC levels and brushing.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

What he said. I would maintain FC levels and brush and eventually the stains should go away. esp if the pool gets a lot of sun. If it's empty, try scrubbing with a strong bleach solution. If the stains don't go away, then consider other measures.
    10,000 gallon inground, gunite, 500lb sand filter. Brand new to this pool thing.

4. Back To Top    #4

^^What they both said. I think the elevated FC approach is worth trying first - very little downside (mainly the cost of the bleach and the elbow-grease of brushing) but potentially, a whole lot of upside. The stains should lighten (and may eventually go away altogether). Once the stains lighten, if the plaster appears in otherwise good shape you may be able to defer the re-do for a year or two which would give you some time to budget for a replaster. Sometimes these foreclosure pools have mainly cosmetic issues that can make them look much worse than they really are. By getting things cleaned up, you will be in a better position to assess the condition of the finish.

BTW, Please add the state and nearest city in which you live to your profile. Donít need specific town, nearest major city is fine. Your climate is important to the advice you receive. By doing this, it will appear in all your posts without you having to enter it each time. Here's how to do it: Adding location to your profile and pool info to your signature.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the advice guys, I've got my location on my profile now.

Our house faces South so the pool gets sun all day.

If I elevate the FC level in the pool will I just brush it with the normal brush or do I need a more abrasive brush?
    And would it still be safe for the kids to swim in it?
    My pool:
    Built 2004, 14K gal, IG plaster,Pentair WhisperFlo 2 HP pump(1 speed), Pentair FNS Plus DE filter,
    In Floor cleaning system, Attached Spa with Spillover seperate WhisperFlo pump for jets.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by JT2006
    If I elevate the FC level in the pool will I just brush it with the normal brush or do I need a more abrasive brush?
    And would it still be safe for the kids to swim in it?
    I would use the normal brush first and give the chlorine time to fade the staining. A good general rule is to try the least invasive approach first.

You can swim in the elevated chlorine levels we are referring to (e.g., higher than normal maintenance levels for your CYA but below shock levels). See Chlorine CYA Chart. But I would run a full set of tests first to make sure there is no organic contamination before giving the kids the "All-Clear" to swim.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.