New Louisiana Pool

Aug 4, 2013
I have to say I love this forum and appreciate all that I have learned "Lurking". Our IG pool should be completed this week. I have already purchased my K-2006 kit and feel pretty comfortable with it. I put the pool details in my signature and have also posted my latest test results. I added CYA to a level of 25 PPM at start up. I am using Regal 3" pucks and monitoring the CYA weekly. I do have to say I have not seen a CYA rise in 3 weeks. I am using Regal 3" Stabilized tablets. 99% Trichloro-s-triazinetrione, 1% other ingredient, 90% available chlorine. I have the PH stabilized at 7.6 (no rain so far). I brought the CH up but am leaving it a little low in case I or the PB end up using shock. There has already been 6lbs used in it so far. They got some concrete in the pool last week and bottomed out my FC and I think caused the PH to jump. Now that the deck is poured I am able to keep the water more stable. Looking forward to talking with everyone and learning.

No Rain
Daytime Temp 93
Auto Chlor set to 3
Water Temp 76
FC 17 drops x .2 = 3.4 PPM
CC=0
PH = 7.6
TA=70
CH=120
CYA=25

PS water volume is 22,700 not 22,100

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

There is no need to use the 25ml sample for the FAS-DPD test ... since you got the K-2006 instead of the TF-100, you will run out of the R-0871 quickly ... use 10ml where each drop is 0.5ppm. You only get about 4 CYA tests with that as well, so you may want to consider ordering up some refills.

Also, there is no reason to add CH to vinyl pool.

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

Louisianajack said:
I brought the CH up but am leaving it a little low in case I or the PB end up using shock.
In a well-managed pool, you may never need to "shock" (we call it SLAM-Shock Level And Maintain). I have not SLAMmed my pool since converting to BBB - about two years ago. See The SLAM Process for the criteria that define the need to SLAM the pool.

Here are a few other good references to get you started: ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry, Chlorine CYA Chart, Basic Pool Care Schedule, Recommended Pool Chemicals.

Build is still not completed. Had a small crew out here today doing some clean up work on the concrete pour. I wanted to post that one of the crew stated that he has never seen such clear water. I told him I have been working on balancing it from the start with the advice of TFP.