Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Louisiana Pool

1. Back To Top    #1

New Louisiana Pool

I have to say I love this forum and appreciate all that I have learned "Lurking". Our IG pool should be completed this week. I have already purchased my K-2006 kit and feel pretty comfortable with it. I put the pool details in my signature and have also posted my latest test results. I added CYA to a level of 25 PPM at start up. I am using Regal 3" pucks and monitoring the CYA weekly. I do have to say I have not seen a CYA rise in 3 weeks. I am using Regal 3" Stabilized tablets. 99% Trichloro-s-triazinetrione, 1% other ingredient, 90% available chlorine. I have the PH stabilized at 7.6 (no rain so far). I brought the CH up but am leaving it a little low in case I or the PB end up using shock. There has already been 6lbs used in it so far. They got some concrete in the pool last week and bottomed out my FC and I think caused the PH to jump. Now that the deck is poured I am able to keep the water more stable. Looking forward to talking with everyone and learning.

No Rain
    Daytime Temp 93
    Auto Chlor set to 3
    Water Temp 76
    FC 17 drops x .2 = 3.4 PPM
    CC=0
    PH = 7.6
    TA=70
    CH=120
    CYA=25

PS water volume is 22,700 not 22,100
    - Grecian poly wall 16.5 x 32.5 11ft averaged depth ~ 21,700 gallons - Plastimayd Ultramayd Vinyl Liner - 3 to 8 Feet deep
    -Two returns, 1 Hayward Skimmer, -Pentair 340038 Superflo 1HP Pump,-Pentair CCP420 Clear and Clear Plus Cartridge Filter
    -Rainbow Lifegard #320 Chlorine Feeder, -Two Pentair Deck Jets,-K-2006 FAS-DPD TEst Kit
    -Polaris 360 Pressure side vacuum
    -Completed August 2013

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Louisiana Pool

Welcome to TFP!!!

There is no need to use the 25ml sample for the FAS-DPD test ... since you got the K-2006 instead of the TF-100, you will run out of the R-0871 quickly ... use 10ml where each drop is 0.5ppm. You only get about 4 CYA tests with that as well, so you may want to consider ordering up some refills.

Also, there is no reason to add CH to vinyl pool.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Jason, Thanks I just read today on the 10ML test and have also been to tftestkits to order my refills.
    - Grecian poly wall 16.5 x 32.5 11ft averaged depth ~ 21,700 gallons - Plastimayd Ultramayd Vinyl Liner - 3 to 8 Feet deep
    -Two returns, 1 Hayward Skimmer, -Pentair 340038 Superflo 1HP Pump,-Pentair CCP420 Clear and Clear Plus Cartridge Filter
    -Rainbow Lifegard #320 Chlorine Feeder, -Two Pentair Deck Jets,-K-2006 FAS-DPD TEst Kit
    -Completed August 2013

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to TFP!

Quote Originally Posted by Louisianajack
    I brought the CH up but am leaving it a little low in case I or the PB end up using shock.
    In a well-managed pool, you may never need to "shock" (we call it SLAM-Shock Level And Maintain). I have not SLAMmed my pool since converting to BBB - about two years ago. See The SLAM Process for the criteria that define the need to SLAM the pool.

Here are a few other good references to get you started: ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry, Chlorine CYA Chart, Basic Pool Care Schedule, Recommended Pool Chemicals.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

5. Back To Top    #5

Welcome Jack! I have a buddy living out here and he is from Gonzales or thereabouts. Glad you are enjoying the forum, lots of good info here to chew on. Happy to have you.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

6. Back To Top    #6

BoDarville, I am learning that. All the shock that has been added so far has been on opening by the PB and by me at the advice of the pool store of course. Again great forum and resource.
    -Completed August 2013

7. Back To Top    #7

Build is still not completed. Had a small crew out here today doing some clean up work on the concrete pour. I wanted to post that one of the crew stated that he has never seen such clear water. I told him I have been working on balancing it from the start with the advice of TFP.
    -Completed August 2013