Replacing one upright on round AGP

I may just have to kill my husband. :hammer: Yesterday, while mowing the lawn, he caught the rear wheel of the mower on one of the uprights of my pool and pulled it out of position. It's pretty bent up and detached at the bottom. I'm hoping we can take it off, straighten it out and re-install it. Does anyone know if this is possible? Do we need to drain any water off? There is no bulging at the location, so it seems that it's not having much of a structural impact on the pool.

Hubby's pretty handy, so I'm not worried about his ability to fix this, we just don't really know how the upright is attached at the top, nor how it should re-attach at the bottom. We have a manual that apparently came with the pool when it was installed (it came with the house when we bought it), but it's not very easy to tell how this works.

Attachments

• upright, full view.JPG
    upright, full view.JPG
    238.1 KB · Views: 289
  • upright, from left.JPG
    upright, from left.JPG
    227.3 KB · Views: 266
  • upright, from right.JPG
    upright, from right.JPG
    296.5 KB · Views: 255
Never seen this discussed, but I wouldn't even think about it without draining half myself. Once metal twists, it twists in the same place again easily. I'd reinforce it with some plate.

You can remove the upright and straighten it without draining, as long as no damage was done to the wall itself. On a round pool the force of the water is exerted evenly all the way around the pool. Wil-bar a manufacturer of alot of above grounds did a study of water pressure on the wall and only the fist foot into the pool is pushing outward the rest is pushing down. I would recommend replacing the upright rather than repairing.

Reactions: Potts18
Ouch. Good luck with the repair. I have no idea how to replace it, but I can't imagine it would be too difficult. I'm sure the manufacturer will give you advice as well.

My advice....use a weedwacker on that area from now on :)

"My advice....use a weedwacker on that area from now on :)"

I TOLD my hubby his zero turn doesn't replace the line trimmer! He seems to make a game out of seeing just how close he can get. Trying not to get TOO mad about it, since I took out half of one of his blueberry bushes a few weeks ago :oops: ...of course, THAT will grow back all on its own! We're planning on putting up a deck around half the pool next year, and I think I'll do some planting around the rest. I have a feeling I know where the deck is going to go! (right over this area!)

I'm hoping I'll be able to post some "after" pictures soon!

Thanks for the words of encouragement and advice!

If this were my pool, I would actually go a little further and dig out around the bottom to see if he pulled the tracking apart with the impact of the mower. He had to of sheared off the post as they are held in by screws mainly unless it's a resin track. What you should see is a bottom metal plate with 3 tabs that the post screws into and the wall itself sits in the track. If the wall is still in the track and track is still in the plate and the plate isn't busted up or twisted from impact, the fix should be easy.

I am going to guess this is pretty simple if you can get the base loose of the track. IMHO, the risers main job is to hold the top rail in place. I really don't feel the risers are "structural" I replaced my liner last summer and I had all of the top rails off and the pool full and had no issues. The risers barely touch the walls.

Wil-bar a manufacturer of alot of above grounds did a study of water pressure on the wall and only the fist foot into the pool is pushing outward the rest is pushing down.
Wil-bart needs some new engineers, then. That's just bogus.

Fluids exert force equally in all directions. Granted there is more force at the bottom of a pool, but the top 1" of that pool water is exerting force on the sides as well as vertically.

Reactions: Potts18

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.