Concrete Coping Renovation for Neighborhood Pool

Aug 20, 2013
My neighborhood pool currently has brick coping that's in pretty poor shape. We're looking to rip out the brick (and waterline tile below it) and start fresh with a more durable solution. Several contractors have recommended poured concrete coping, but the finishing is different and I'm having trouble deciding.

For the main pool (mostly rectangular) and baby pool (round) we've got about 275 lineal feet of coping total.

Contractor A will cost approximately $28,000 for the coping. He will replace the old brick with poured concrete, then cover it with a synthetic, heat and slip resistant coating called Krete Kote.

Contractor B will cost approximately $17,000 for the coping. He will replace the old brick with dyed poured concrete, then apply a light broom finish for texture.

Contractor A says that he can skip the Krete Kote and just dye the concrete with a broom finish for texture ($22,000), but he doesn't think we'll be as happy with the result because the dyed concrete will have uneven color.

Any ideas?

Yes, and sorry to say it, but I would keep shopping. I don't know where you are, but 28K is a very high price for 275 linear ft of coping. Wow.

Welcome to TFP, and look around with the google search tool upper right. You'll likely find something for a useful comparison.

harleysilo said:
Waterline tile too, don't forget. $101 per foot for both. Seems outrageous to me but I've no idea! Concrete for me, broomed was $5 a foot, but that's not coping. Then there is the demo expense....

Sorry, those quotes DON'T include the tile! Contractor A wants 12k for the tile and Contractor B wants 6k.

These are the only two guys who have offered the poured concrete coping option. I'm going to try to get a third bid.

I've seen Contractor As work, and he does fantastic work. Great reviews. Of it werent for the high price, this would be an easy decision. I don't know much about Contractor B other than that he's cheaper.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.