Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Brand New

1. Back To Top    #1

Brand New

I have been winging it for years when it it came to taking care of my pool. I just recently ran across this site and decided to join. I want to take control of my pool. Thanks for any advice you can give me. I will continue to read up on the BBB method and looking forward to learning how to balance my water without going to the pool store. I have used 3" pucks and chlorine for the whole time I've had my pool.
    Here are my current readings. Thanks again.

FC 3
    CC 0.5
    PH 7.5
    TA 80
    CH 240
    CYA 80
    water clear
    17K gal.,IG diamond brite pool,13yrs. old, 1hp Magnum Force pump,Triton II fiberglass sand filter,Polaris 360 pool cleaner,full sun,
    Test Kit- Taylor K-2006

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Brand New

Welcome to TFP.

Where did those results come from? If they're from the pool store, I wouldn't trust the reading and especially the CYA reading.
    Keep reading and you'll get a good understanding of what the numbers should be and that you need a good test kit in order to trust them.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!!!

If you have not found it already, check of Pool School (button at the upper right of the page).

One of the first steps to taking control is getting yourself one of the Recommended Test Kits. And then trusting yourself and not the pool store.

Given the high use of pucks, it will not be surprising that you CYA is too high and that you should replace a good portion of your water to get it within range and then to switch the using liquid chlorine nearly exclusively.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

If you have only used pucks for your chlorine, I would not trust the CYA values from a pool store. They don't see high CYA as an issue and their tests are frequently very inaccurate. I have heard many pool stores simply report any CYA over 100, ie 300, as 100. It looks to me like you are only a few pucks from 100CYA, assuming they are correct. The CYA test requires sunlight to be accurate.

When you pool gets to 100CYA, IMHO, you cannot manage your chlorine, even with large amounts of liquid chlorine.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

5. Back To Top    #5

Welcome to TFP!
    A good place to start is with the ABC's of Pool Chems. Check the link in my sig below. Ask questions, and dont be shy. Enjoy the forums.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for the feedback. I'll keep reading and learning.
    17K gal.,IG diamond brite pool,13yrs. old, 1hp Magnum Force pump,Triton II fiberglass sand filter,Polaris 360 pool cleaner,full sun,
    Test Kit- Taylor K-2006

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Donjax
    Thanks for the feedback. I'll keep reading and learning.
    You are quite welcome and good on you. It's really the best thing you can do long term for taking care of your pool. Let us know when we can help.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem