Due to weather and temps our pool was unused for a month. I added bleach and kept pump on mostly during the day, brushed sides about once a week. Obviously NOT enough circulation going on. Finally getting warmer weather so husband wanted to swim and was not happy to find a green pool.
Thanks to TFP I knew what I needed to do.
Added muriatic acid, SLAMmed Saturday night and Sunday and Monday am, brushed four times a day, kept levels high enough for my CYA, ran pump 24/7. RESISTED going to pool store to buy cal-hypo or clarifier!
Yesterday pm hubby sacrificed himself by jumping into pool and really kicking around and brushing and getting down to the bottom of deep end where it was still green looking. (He rinsed off right away when he got out)
Today we are clear with slam level chlorine since last night. Vacuumed piles of brown off bottom of pool, brushed again twice. Will let the sun do the work to lower the chlorine now. As soon as it is swimmable we are having lots of guests over to use and stir up the pool!
Thanks again for helping me understand the chemical relationships so I can fix my mess ups. Still working on getting CYA down, planning two more drains in September but want to keep water warm enough to swim for next two weeks.
Had a TOTAL of about 3 weeks of swimming this yr because of weather. BBB definitely helped with maintaining pool with such little use. I cringe to think of how high CYA would be if I had used pucks all summer since in June we were at CYA 168. I am sure we would have spent much more money and fought algae all summer long.
Sometimes adding the bleach, acid, testing and brushing are a big pain, especially when we aren't even using the pool and it seems like a waste of time. But now I know the "easy" way of just throwing in some pucks leads to more problems and eventually more work!