price to run nat gas heater

Apr 24, 2013
my nat gas cost me $5.134 per mcf to break that down into thermal units divide by 10.23 that gives me a price of $.50 a therm. so to heat my pool 13,500 gallons 10 degrees with 3.5mph wind and a 250k btu heater at 80% efficiancy should run me aprox. $6.25 is this right

I got $7.04 when I entered your pool size and cost parameters in my spreadsheet. I used the net BTU's of 200,000 figured by taking the faceplate BTU's of 250,000 * 0.8. So, I think our figures are certainly in the ballpark.

Not sure where you are located, but air temperature, sunlight, wind (as you pointed out), ground temperature, length of plumbing run, and whether your pool is covered are some of the more significant factors that impact the length of time and heating fuel it will take to raise the temperature of the pool water to a target temperature.

well...I haven't used the spreadsheet yet..but I can give you a realworld comparison, albeit on a much larger pool....We ran our 200,000 btu heater the entire month of June, as it was unseasonably cool...usually around 76-78F most days. Our pool holds 25,600 gallons (33 ft diam x 52 deep). Cost for NG for the month was $300 to maintain pool temp of 84F , put that on top of our $100 gas cost for household use, and it was a good chunk of change.

Dan

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.