Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: price to run nat gas heater

1. Back To Top    #1

price to run nat gas heater

my nat gas cost me $5.134 per mcf to break that down into thermal units divide by 10.23 that gives me a price of $.50 a therm. so to heat my pool 13,500 gallons 10 degrees with 3.5mph wind and a 250k btu heater at 80% efficiancy should run me aprox. $6.25 is this right
    15x30x54 AG,2HP2SP PUMP 400LB SAND FILTER

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: price to run nat gas heater

wildwilly1:

Here's a cost calculator spreadsheet you may want to check out: Natural Gas Heating Time & Cost Calculator Spreadsheet.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

3. Back To Top    #3

i cant get to the spreadsheet for some reason . but idid find one online and that's where I got my calculations at do they seem right

4. Back To Top    #4

I got $7.04 when I entered your pool size and cost parameters in my spreadsheet. I used the net BTU's of 200,000 figured by taking the faceplate BTU's of 250,000 * 0.8. So, I think our figures are certainly in the ballpark.

Not sure where you are located, but air temperature, sunlight, wind (as you pointed out), ground temperature, length of plumbing run, and whether your pool is covered are some of the more significant factors that impact the length of time and heating fuel it will take to raise the temperature of the pool water to a target temperature.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

5. Back To Top    #5

sounds good just wanted to know if i was in the ballpark of price.i am in ky this summer here has been very cool and rainy. so much for global warming

6. Back To Top    #6

well...I haven't used the spreadsheet yet..but I can give you a realworld comparison, albeit on a much larger pool....We ran our 200,000 btu heater the entire month of June, as it was unseasonably cool...usually around 76-78F most days. Our pool holds 25,600 gallons (33 ft diam x 52 deep). Cost for NG for the month was $300 to maintain pool temp of 84F , put that on top of our $100 gas cost for household use, and it was a good chunk of change.

Dan
    33' x 52" Swim and Play Inc. PARAGON AGP. Hayward H200 Heater. Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.5hp pump. Sta-Rite Cristal Flo T-210WF Sand Filter. Stenner 45M5 chlorine pump

7. Back To Top    #7

were u running it 24/7 the whole mth

8. Back To Top    #8

not 7 days a week, but probably 5, and yes it was on constantly to maintain a given temp.
    33' x 52" Swim and Play Inc. PARAGON AGP. Hayward H200 Heater. Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.5hp pump. Sta-Rite Cristal Flo T-210WF Sand Filter. Stenner 45M5 chlorine pump

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by flyweed
    not 7 days a week, but probably 5, and yes it was on constantly to maintain a given temp.
    Any idea what your cost per therm averages?
    Walnut Creek, CA. 18k gallon Pebble Sheen + 1.5k gallon IG spa, 1.5hp whisperflo main pump, Pentair clean and clear 420, Intellichlor IC20, Polaris 360 w/booster,Jandy lite 2 natural gas, plus solar with Heliomatic 5000 controller and 3/4 hp booster

10. Back To Top    #10

No idea..I can probably find out.