Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What is this?????

1. Back To Top    #1

What is this?????

I am a first year pool owner and have benefitted greatly from the information contained on this website. Since getting the pool I have inquired from a few other owners as to what the attached pictures are and nobody seems to know for sure. As you will see one is located just below the skimmer box and the other is located at the narrow end of the pool in the deep end. This second one has a plunger style head to it. Any assistance would be appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What is this?????

What do they do when the pump is running? Suck in water or flow out water?

My guess is that the one underr the skimmer is an equalizer line port and the other is a return of some sort. It could also be a wall suction but you should be able to tell by feeling what they do when it's running.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

There is no suction during normal operation. When I backwash I can feel very minimal suction from the one under the skimmer box (I screwed a birdcage onto it upon recommendation) but the other one does not appear to do anything during any functions of the pool. Very puzzling.

4. Back To Top    #4

Since you feel a slight suction from the one under the skimmer it almost has to be the equalizer line from the skimmer. It's designed to keep water going to the pump if the water gets below the skimmer mouth.

Can you post a copy of the equipment pad and a little wider view of the location of the mushroom one?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

5. Back To Top    #5

Is the one in the deep end a hydro-static relief valve?
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    19,000 Gallons Vinyl Liner 3'-3.5'-4'
    SWCG and D.E. Filter
    Test Kits - Pool Calculator - Chlorine/CYA Chart - Pool School

Secret Weapon for Pool Chemistry Testing

6. Back To Top    #6

Here is the wider view of the one in the deep end with the plunger head. Not sure what you were looking for re:epuiment pad.

7. Back To Top    #7

Is there any lines that are closed off that may go there?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

8. Back To Top    #8

Here is the layout of the pool area (equipment pad?) Skimmer box to the right and diving board straight ahead. Behind that is the pool house where pump and filter are. One of my concerns right now, as the season winds down, is if there is anything I need to attend to regarding these during the closing process. When I opened the pool all there was an end cap screwed into the one below the skimmer box so I will replace that, just not certain if there is anything else that needs to be done regarding these.
    Thanks for the help!!

9. Back To Top    #9

The one under the skimmer is probably an equalizer line. You can verify by putting a garden hose in the front hole of the skimmer to see if water comes out. Thr other one might be a light.

10. Back To Top    #10

That is the normal location for a light. Although it sure does not look like any fixture I have seen.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

11. Back To Top    #11

I thought the raised one looked like a fiberstars type light but it being raised threw me off.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

12. Back To Top    #12

Some fiber optic lights look like that.

13. Back To Top    #13

Thanks to everyone for their responses. I will look into the information provided and go from there - your input is very much appreciated.

14. Back To Top    #14

15. Back To Top    #15

Thanks to everyone once again, based on your responses I was able to confirm that the one under the skimmer is in fact an equalizer line - more importantly this also led me to learning that by putting the plug in I have 5x the suction power when vacuuming!!!
    The one in the deep end is in fact a light. Apparently it is "outdated" and the previous owners were not able to get parts for it when it malfunctioned. I was also told that in order to replace it it would be a "major project". This is unfortunate since now that I know there is a light there it would be nice to have a functioning one.....

16. Back To Top    #16

that looks like what we have under our skimmer. The pool builder said its a safety device, if the water gets to low it does something
    Oklahoma
    30X20 Gunite pool completed in July 2013

17. Back To Top    #17

Can you give us any more info on the light?
    Is there a big junction box near the sub panel for it?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator