Going Crazy - Trying to decide on pump/filter - HELP

Aug 11, 2013
I am officially going to lose it... :shock:

I keep researching which pump/filter i should get and every web-site tells me something different, customer reviews are all over the place. I have been to 3 pool stores and each quote a different size but highly recommend Hayward.

Thoughts?

Installing pool next year... 24' Round Above Ground with Salt. Filter will be about 10 feet from skimmer.

I am leaning towards a 20"Inch Hayward Filter with a 1.5hp Single Speed Pump (based on local pool store recommendation)

They are trying to talk me out of Dual Speed saying with my size pool not worth it? Thoughts here?
Some stores are saying 1 Hp some are saying 1.5 Hp. The latest store says Hayward manufacturer recommends 1.5hp.

When i read reviews i see people saying Dynamo is better.

I dont want to spend crazy money but don't want to deal with problems.

Thoughts? Help!

OK, a few thoughts: generally, a pool store will sell you a much larger pump and much smaller filter than you need. I'm not sure how big a 20" filter is :scratch: but I think it's too small...someone who knows will help out.

A 2-speed pump is always worth it, and you don't need any bigger than 1 hp. Even 3/4 hp would be fine. A single speed, 1.5 hp pump will waste a lot of electricity (=money).

All of what MITS said! :goodpost:

It also helps to know if you're planning a deep end, or dishing it out and how much if so.
Any other water/plumbing related features, like: solar (location & peak elevation if above waterline) SWCG, etc?
How about plumbing, hard plumbed or hose?
What brand of AGP, Intex or other?

If your average depth is around 4 feet, that puts you around 13,500 gallons and the minimum sand filter we would recommend is a 21.5" diameter. If your season is short, have low debris, and don't mind backwashing more often, you could likely get by with a 20" filter.

I agree that 1HP 2-speed is the largest I would consider.

52" Mirage Resin Pool
24' Round
Plan to go salt water but haven't started that search yet.

Leslie's Pool is what reccomended Single Speed 1.5hp with 20" sand filter

Are you reccomending only a 1HP filter? Is that still okay even though filter is small distance from skimmer?

Is the filter too small? Should I go larger?

All the questions you just asked have been answered in the previous posts.

The 20" is the minimum I would consider and a max of a 1HP 2-speed is what everyone here has suggested. The short distance is irrelevant.

One thing you will quickly realize if you do much reading here is that most pool stores are not highly regarded ... certainly when it comes to chemistry, but most employees are generally just not that knowledgeable.

There is no "ideal" it just depends on how often you want to clean it. You will be fine in the 20"-21" range, that is within the recommendation. Likely only need to clean once every few months at most. Many members come here with 16" or smaller filters on a pool that size and have issues.

If you want to go bigger, you can. It will just cost you more $ up-front.

A larger filter will basically get you longer cycles between needing to back wash. So for spending extra money up front, you get longer cycles. The smaller filter in reverse, less money and shorter cycles.

That's my understanding.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you go with a 1hp 2 speed pump you won't regret it. I have yet to back wash my filter, but I bumped it a few times. Pressure hasn't raised enough to backwash. I also use skimmer socks all the time.

I had to replace our pool pump and put in a 3/4 HP Pentair, single speed. Works beautifully, no problems. The pressure from the returns seems just as strong as when I had a 1.5 HP. If you look up in pool school, a small no frills pool is fine with a 3/4 HP pump. I got ours off of Amazon for around $225.

But you could save money on electricity with a 2-speed 3/4HP pump as well. That is why we keep saying 1HP max. 3/4HP or 1HP will be plenty big and the low speed option will save $ in the future.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.