Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Going Crazy - Trying to decide on pump/filter - HELP

1. Back To Top    #1

Going Crazy - Trying to decide on pump/filter - HELP

I am officially going to lose it...

I keep researching which pump/filter i should get and every web-site tells me something different, customer reviews are all over the place. I have been to 3 pool stores and each quote a different size but highly recommend Hayward.

Thoughts?

Installing pool next year... 24' Round Above Ground with Salt. Filter will be about 10 feet from skimmer.

I am leaning towards a 20"Inch Hayward Filter with a 1.5hp Single Speed Pump (based on local pool store recommendation)

They are trying to talk me out of Dual Speed saying with my size pool not worth it? Thoughts here?
    Some stores are saying 1 Hp some are saying 1.5 Hp. The latest store says Hayward manufacturer recommends 1.5hp.

When i read reviews i see people saying Dynamo is better.

I dont want to spend crazy money but don't want to deal with problems.

Thoughts? Help!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Going Crazy - Trying to decide on pump/filter - HELP

OK, a few thoughts: generally, a pool store will sell you a much larger pump and much smaller filter than you need. I'm not sure how big a 20" filter is but I think it's too small...someone who knows will help out.

A 2-speed pump is always worth it, and you don't need any bigger than 1 hp. Even 3/4 hp would be fine. A single speed, 1.5 hp pump will waste a lot of electricity (=money).
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

3. Back To Top    #3

All of what MITS said!

It also helps to know if you're planning a deep end, or dishing it out and how much if so.
    Any other water/plumbing related features, like: solar (location & peak elevation if above waterline) SWCG, etc?
    How about plumbing, hard plumbed or hose?
    What brand of AGP, Intex or other?
    Thanks for reading... - Tony
    Da' Pool: Intex 15'x42" 3284gal AGP EasySet (Inflatable Ring) - (Summer 2014: 27' round EW /w 6.5' deep end @ 22,500gal)
    Pump & Cart Mod: 1000gph Cart. 5ft² - 2 nylons, 24/7 OP. Traps bugs/bits, lasts longer/cleans easier = Happier Pool Owner!!
    The Bible for a "Trouble Free Pool" life = PoolSchool, the BBB method a TF100 test kit(Recommend Kits Compared). - Cleaning a Sand Filter
    Water looks like GLASS, if yours doesn't...SLAM IT! Feels nice and never been happier!!! :D

4. Back To Top    #4

Small pump, big filter. Not sure where you're located, but will you bringing the motor/filter in for the winter? The house came with a cartridge filter. I'm happy with it. Clean it monthly.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

5. Back To Top    #5

If your average depth is around 4 feet, that puts you around 13,500 gallons and the minimum sand filter we would recommend is a 21.5" diameter. If your season is short, have low debris, and don't mind backwashing more often, you could likely get by with a 20" filter.

I agree that 1HP 2-speed is the largest I would consider.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

52" Mirage Resin Pool
    24' Round
    Plan to go salt water but haven't started that search yet.

Leslie's Pool is what reccomended Single Speed 1.5hp with 20" sand filter

Are you reccomending only a 1HP filter? Is that still okay even though filter is small distance from skimmer?

Is the filter too small? Should I go larger?

7. Back To Top    #7

All the questions you just asked have been answered in the previous posts.

The 20" is the minimum I would consider and a max of a 1HP 2-speed is what everyone here has suggested. The short distance is irrelevant.

One thing you will quickly realize if you do much reading here is that most pool stores are not highly regarded ... certainly when it comes to chemistry, but most employees are generally just not that knowledgeable.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

8. Back To Top    #8

If the 20" is the minimum is there a more ideal size?

9. Back To Top    #9

There is no "ideal" it just depends on how often you want to clean it. You will be fine in the 20"-21" range, that is within the recommendation. Likely only need to clean once every few months at most. Many members come here with 16" or smaller filters on a pool that size and have issues.

If you want to go bigger, you can. It will just cost you more $ up-front.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

10. Back To Top    #10

A larger filter will basically get you longer cycles between needing to back wash. So for spending extra money up front, you get longer cycles. The smaller filter in reverse, less money and shorter cycles.

That's my understanding.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

11. Back To Top    #11

Going Crazy - Trying to decide on pump/filter - HELP

If you go with a 1hp 2 speed pump you won't regret it. I have yet to back wash my filter, but I bumped it a few times. Pressure hasn't raised enough to backwash. I also use skimmer socks all the time.
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

12. Back To Top    #12

I had to replace our pool pump and put in a 3/4 HP Pentair, single speed. Works beautifully, no problems. The pressure from the returns seems just as strong as when I had a 1.5 HP. If you look up in pool school, a small no frills pool is fine with a 3/4 HP pump. I got ours off of Amazon for around $225.
    10,000 gallon inground, gunite, 500lb sand filter. Brand new to this pool thing.

13. Back To Top    #13

But you could save money on electricity with a 2-speed 3/4HP pump as well. That is why we keep saying 1HP max. 3/4HP or 1HP will be plenty big and the low speed option will save $ in the future.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

14. Back To Top    #14

Okay great 1HP it is...

Brand reccomendations?

15. Back To Top    #15

I'm happy with my hayward. Everybody has there preference. I would think any of the major brands would do you fine.
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.