New pool/spa build in North Texas Updated: PICS

Jul 10, 2013
Hello Everyone.

I'm a new member to the forum and have gained a wealth of information over the past 3 months and have decided to give back by documenting my build from start to finish.

After a 3 month exhaustive process, we have settled on Southernwind Pools out of Mckinney, TX. We had also interviewed Hauk, Robertson, Riverbend Sandler, Pool Environments, and Cody before deciding to go with Southernwind.

One thing I found shocking throughout the entire process is that each builder seemed to have different opinions on construction standards, equipment etc. I had to research almost everything myself to ensure I was making an informed decision on every aspect of the build. This involved sifting through a plethora of BS from most of the builders! Cody was by far the worst and came in at a price that was astronomically higher than all of the builders, despite the fact that Southernwind takes them to school on construction quality. I also found the Cody sales rep to be extremely arrogant and out of touch. She told me that with her POS ozoneator, I could go most of the year without adding chlorine to the pool :).

I finally decided on Southernwind for a number of reasons:

* They were straight shooters from the beginning. Spec'd my pool exactly how I asked them too. No BS, no bait and switch. I wanted the best equipment and a high end pool and that is exactly what they delivered.
* When I went to make upgrades to the pool/equipment, they didnt try to overcharge me like some of the other builders - one builder wanted 2200$ to upgrade from an Aqualink pda 8 to a 12. What a joke.
* Warranty - lifetime warranty on stonework, plumbing, stonescapes interior, and pool structure. 3 year warranty on Pentair equipment
* Construction - 1/2 inch rebar, wet-mix shotcrete construction, 10-12 inch thick minimum. This is a significantly stronger structure than ANY builder in North Texas.
* Only builder to recommend and warranty a salt water pool

Below are the specs for my build - please feel free to provide comments:

*133' Perimeter
*43'x19' / 3 1/2' x 8' Deep
*24" Raised Spa/9'x7' SPA
*Glass tile
*Pent Quad DE 100 filter
* A&A MAX in floor cleaning system
* (2) LED Pool Lights (1) LED Spa Light (intellibrite 5g)
*Intelliflo pump
*3hp Booster Pump
*Air Blower
*(6) Jets
*400k BTU Heater
*Easy Touch 8 Wireless Controller
*Screenlogic 2
*Rainbow 320 Chlorinator (backup)
*Intellichlor IC60
*(1) Tan Ledge (1) Swim Out
*~950 sqft Stamped Concrete with Steps
*Gas supply and hook up to heater
*12" and 6" raised beam with (4) 18" Stone Scuppers.
*Stonescapes Mini Pebble
*18" and 24" single sided retaining walls. Stepped with grade
* Oklahoma Flagstone for coping, retaining walls, and raised beam

Re: New pool/spa build in Prosper, TX

Very nice! I really like the negative edge on the spa and the way it seamlessly integrates into the top level of decking. It's going to look fantastic when it's done.
If you plan on using the spa a lot, have you considered making it a little bigger considering you have a fairly large pool? It will give you a little more leg room in there. Obviously it depends on how frequently you're intending to use it and how many people and if it's only going to be 1 or 2 people normally it may not be worth it (considering everything has a cost associated with it!!)

Re: New pool/spa build in Prosper, TX

cbink said:
Very nice! I really like the negative edge on the spa and the way it seamlessly integrates into the top level of decking. It's going to look fantastic when it's done.
If you plan on using the spa a lot, have you considered making it a little bigger considering you have a fairly large pool? It will give you a little more leg room in there. Obviously it depends on how frequently you're intending to use it and how many people and if it's only going to be 1 or 2 people normally it may not be worth it (considering everything has a cost associated with it!!)

I was actually thinking the same. It wouldnt impact the design too much to pull it out 12 inches on each side. I will definitely follow up with the pb to get a cost estimate. We'll be using the spa heavily.

Re: New pool/spa build in North Texas

Getting ready to start the dig sometime next week. One thing I currently do not have spec'd on the pool is auto fill. The builder is trying to talk me out of it saying it would be impossible to tell if the pool was leaking and so they recommend just installing a line from the hose outlet under the decking.

So far I've felt they have been honest in relation to other pool builders I've worked with. Yet, everyone I know with auto fill loves it.

Does the pool builders argument carry any weight?

Re: New pool/spa build in North Texas

jamcha02 said:
Getting ready to start the dig sometime next week. One thing I currently do not have spec'd on the pool is auto fill. The builder is trying to talk me out of it saying it would be impossible to tell if the pool was leaking and so they recommend just installing a line from the hose outlet under the decking.

So far I've felt they have been honest in relation to other pool builders I've worked with. Yet, everyone I know with auto fill loves it.

Does the pool builders argument carry any weight?

Pool rendering looks awesome...

Here's my take on the Auto fill. Mine was installed with a manual anti-siphon valve located at the equipment pad. If I want to check for a leak, I just turn the valve off. It as easy as turning off a valve if you want to manually fill your water. I would just get it installed, and then check for a leaks a couple times a season. The rest of the time, just forget it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Have you picked your tile yet? I was just talking to a PB and he suggested going to Noble Tile in Dallas (Shady Ln and Walnut Hill) to look at samples. I was just on their website at http://nobletile.com and looking around, but it appears the website went down. We are also looking at glass tile.

My auto fill is disconnected. I've had leak issues over the years, and the water bills get pretty steep when the fill keeps up. Getting a water bill for 125,000 gallons isn't a pleasant experience (some of this was irrigation I must admit).

I may call your PB about my remodeling. I like your experience comments so far.

RobbieH said:
Have you picked your tile yet? I was just talking to a PB and he suggested going to Noble Tile in Dallas (Shady Ln and Walnut Hill) to look at samples. I was just on their website at http://nobletile.com and looking around, but it appears the website went down. We are also looking at glass tile.

My auto fill is disconnected. I've had leak issues over the years, and the water bills get pretty steep when the fill keeps up. Getting a water bill for 125,000 gallons isn't a pleasant experience (some of this was irrigation I must admit).

I may call your PB about my remodeling. I like your experience comments so far.

We have picked the tile. Its a glass tile from National Pool Tile group. You can look it up online at http://www.nptpool.com. Its the Canyon Gems series - Blue Cobalt. This tile will be used all the way around the pool at the waterline and for the negative edge on the spa.

As far as the builder, I cannot say enough good things about them. http://www.southernwindpools.com. They've been in business for over 30 years and the owner, John Versfelt, is onsite managing the entire project. Communication has been spot on and I am confident that he'll give me everything I've signed up for.

Day 1 of excavation is complete. The excavator dug down 9 feet just to ensure we wouldnt hit rock (and we didnt). They will be back tomorrow AM to finish the dig.

We decided to add an A&A MAX in floor cleaner to the build. Lifetime warranty on all parts from A&A and the PB warrants all the plumbing under the pool and to the equipment pad for life.

So far everything is going very smooth.

Attachments

• photo6.JPG
    photo6.JPG
    168.8 KB · Views: 2,155
8eve4yvy.jpg

Day 2...the dig continues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Wow that is a lot of cleaner heads :shock:

First, a disclaimer...I do not have a in-floor system and I tend to be a minimalist so I probably would not put one in if I had a igp, but...I would attempt to reduce the number heads since the experiences I have read on this board tend to suggest problems and I assume the problems would be magnified with that many.

linen said:
Wow that is a lot of cleaner heads :shock:

First, a disclaimer...I do not have a in-floor system and I tend to be a minimalist so I probably would not put one in if I had a igp, but...I would attempt to reduce the number heads since the experiences I have read on this board tend to suggest problems and I assume the problems would be magnified with that many.

@Linen, thanks for the feedback. This drawing is directly from A&A's engineering department, so it would not be advisable to make changes.

Many of the issues relating to dead spots in the pool are because the pool builder reduces the number of heads and doesnt follow the plan provided by the manufacturer. I think if these systems are installed correctly they work great. My builder has installed over 200.

Also, all of the heads/other parts are warrantied by A&A for life. The plumbing runs are warrantied by the PB for life.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.