Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: concrete deck poured - pH sky high

1. Back To Top    #1

concrete deck poured - pH sky high

We had our concrete deck poured friday, it is cantilever and a lot of concrete and pebbles went into the water. After two days of cleaning it looks nice BUT water test showed sky high pH. I was reluctant to add acid right away since the deck company comes back Thursday to acid wash the concrete - its exposed aggregate.

Is it normal for pH to go this high after decking is poured?

I expect a ton of muriatic acid to go into the pool and drop my pH. Is it safe to wait 2 more days or should I drop pH tonight to the recommended range? My concern is that after the acid wash the pH will plummet and I'll be adding soda ash for pH up again.

I feel like I am on the pool yo-yo string going up and down with the chemicals and balance levels through this build process.

Here are this mornings levels:

PH >8
    TA 120
    CH 110
    FC 5.8
    CC 0.2
    CYA 60

Thank you for reading
    28000 gal inground vinyl installed 7/2013, hayward c5030 525 SF cartridge filter, hayward SP3400VSP variable speed pump, hayward 125000 BTU heat pump, chlorine dispenser

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: concrete deck poured - pH sky high

I'd probably go ahead and lower it to the high 7's at least. You don't look like you're in the scaling range even in the 8's, but since you don't really know how much above 8 you really are, you would be well advised to lower it some.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you - I added 5 lbs dry acid with little effect on pH. I added 2 qts MA and it dropped the acid demand drops from 11 to 5 with my Taylor test kit.

Chlorine demand seems high - I need to add 2 gallons of walmart 8 pct bleach daily to keep FC over 3.

We have 5 ppl swimming for 4 hrs a day, the pool sits in direct sun all day, water temp is 84, CYA is 60, TA 120.

CC is 0.2
    28000 gal inground vinyl installed 7/2013, hayward c5030 525 SF cartridge filter, hayward SP3400VSP variable speed pump, hayward 125000 BTU heat pump, chlorine dispenser

4. Back To Top    #4

You are right, that FC demand does seem a little high (5.7ppm / day) ... tell everyone to stop peeing in the pool

You can Perform the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to see if there is something in the water consuming extra FC. Just maybe raise the FC up to 10ppm and then do the OCLT.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!