Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Flash Flooding - Need Some Guidance

1. Back To Top    #1

Flash Flooding - Need Some Guidance

My backyard was turned into a lake last night when we got a flash flood that dropped a TON of rain. The result was that the rain and storm water went INTO my pool. So what was a crystal clear pool yesterday now looks like a semi-clear lake with suspended sediment. I am at a loss as to the appropriate response. Should I circulate and just clean the filter daily or turn off the pump and let the sediment settle and brush it towards the drain and then turn the pump back on to suck it through the drain/filter?

I think I will be okay getting the chemicals back in line as I am sure they are all out of whack. I assume I will need to shock the pool once I get the sediment out.

Any advice as to what to do about the dirt/sediment or just in general is greatly appreciated.

Thank you!!
    VS 3050 Pentair Pump, Pentair Clean and Clear Plus 320 cartridge filter, Pentair IC 40 SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Flash Flooding - Need Some Guidance

Usually the best thing to do is keep the pump running and it will filter out the sediment.
    What type and size filter and pool do you have?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Some inspiration and advice in this thread pool-flooded-sparkling-oasis-turned-into-muddy-pond-t64695.html
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    19,000 Gallons Vinyl Liner 3'-3.5'-4'
    SWCG and D.E. Filter
    Test Kits - Pool Calculator - Chlorine/CYA Chart - Pool School

Secret Weapon for Pool Chemistry Testing

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    Usually the best thing to do is keep the pump running and it will filter out the sediment.
    What type and size filter and pool do you have?
    I have a 15,000 gallon pool. I have a Pentair Clean & Clear 320 Cartridge Filter.

Thanks for your guidance. I am freaking out a little seeing what was a crystal clear pool looking like a sink hole...
    VS 3050 Pentair Pump, Pentair Clean and Clear Plus 320 cartridge filter, Pentair IC 40 SWG

5. Back To Top    #5

I can imagine how you feel.

Since you have a cartridge filter you most likely can't vacuum to waste anyway so leaving the pump running and cleaning the filter whenever it needs it is the best plan of action. If there's literally mud on the bottom you can try vacuuming with the filter drain open to get some of it out.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for the tips. I do feel a little better after going to that link. My pool is certainly not that murky so hopefully just running the pump 24/7 for a couple of days and cleaning filters will do the trick.