Too much smoke flavor imparted on food Big Green Egg

Boy I tell ya, I don't understand this at all. There is a problem with SMOKE from a wood/charcoal fire burning?? Or even from a little left over grease or fat? :scratch: The only smoke issue I can think of is burning knots or hard wood and letting it smolder too much. Especially with Mesquite knots on long cooks for ribs or brisket. I'm a seasoned veteran on cooking with fire/wood/charcoal and I am just puzzled about this.

Brushpup said:
The only smoke issue I can think of is burning knots or hard wood and letting it smolder too much.
Yes, this was my first hunch as well. Had this problem when I first got my offset smoker. Played around with the intake vent settings and eventually got it figured out. As for the grease, that's one issue I do not have with the smoker. I have zero experience with BGE, so I'm not sure if accumulating grease is an issue with that design. Years ago when I had my Weber Kettle grill, I once had a major flare-up for no apparent reason. I put the lid on to squash the flame and finished cooking. The next day, I gave it a thorough cleaning. The flare-up never happened again. The one thing both of these grills have in common is a bowl-shaped design, so the grease accumulation may have some plausibility.

I use my gas grill to cook burgers. Sometimes I get an occasional flare-up while cooking them, but I manage that by moving them to the warming rack when needed. As for the grease, I let the grill run on high with the lid down for about 5 minutes or so after the last burger is removed from the grill and then clean the grates after they have cooled. On warm-up, I run it on high for about 10 min after lighting to burn off any grease I might have missed.

Yea, I hear ya and I've seen that before.

Now fellas...

I want you all to hear this as only a little good natured ribbing and friendly busting of chops...

But y'all are sounding a little bit like city boys on this smoke thing to me. :lol:

Man, I can't imagine tending two fires. I've heard about that method and maybe someday I'll try it, but i prefer just to preheat wood on the top of the firebox and then chuck it in when it's needed. Never had too much smoke on something, but that's a matter of taste I guess. I think it's actually much easier to "oversmoke" something with charcoal than with wood...in an egg you can smolder stuff real easy and get some nasty smoke. It's because you're typically burning a reeeeally small fire in there, especially if it's hot outside and the egg is already at 150 (or higher, down here) with no fire in it at all. It's easy to partially snuff it.

My "egg" will be sitting at 150 when I take the cover off to light a fire. I can get the kamado up to temp very quickly. As for grease, I have used a pan to catch the drippings when doing a pork butt but the grill is what gets the dirtiest. I am going to try the 600+ fire to burn off the debris.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.