pbpool

Aug 16, 2013
NEOhio
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I have had my pool for 1 year, installed 7-12. Bacquacil CRX; lately it has been white clouds, PH is below the recommended level,7.2,can I use borax to raise the PH or is this a big no-no with this CRX system? I have used bacquacil PH increaser and not much luck. The TA is very high over 90, I wish I had found this site last year. Probably going to do the big switch over in 2-3 weeks! thank you in advance!

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

I believe you mean the Baquacil® CDX™ System, not CRX. They use CDX to help stabilize the oxidize (hydrogen peroxide) in the pool.

The main problem with the CDX is that you may find it more difficult to convert to chlorine even if you let the Baquacil level get low. Using chlorine to convert oxidizes the Baquacil into lovely colors, but the CDX is more difficult and may result in you measuring Combined Chlorine (CC) for quite some time. The good news is that this CC isn't the "bad" kind (it's chlorine combined with the chemical in CDX) but it makes it difficult to know if you have "real" CC.

Nevertheless, there are people who have had Baquacil CDX who have converted.

Compared to the cost of converting over from Baq to CL, not to mention the CC headache, would it be cheaper for you to do a drain and fill?
Here in Oregon it'd probably only cost me about $20, if that! Our rates being one of the highest in the state.

How high is your water table, or deep, as the case may be?

y_not said:
Compared to the cost of converting over from Baq to CL, not to mention the CC headache, would it be cheaper for you to do a drain and fill?
Here in Oregon it'd probably only cost me about $20, if that! Our rates being one of the highest in the state.

How high is your water table, or deep, as the case may be?

I have city water and it cost about $75 to fill last year but then I also had sewer charge of $68, $143 total. I see I would need to change out my sand in the filter so I am looking at $170 since we had rate increase in the past year.

My original question is if I can use Borax to raise PH with CDX?

Call the water company, as often they'll wave the sewage charge. As for the PH.....you should be able to raise it with Borax.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.