Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Bacquacil CRX, low pH

1. Back To Top    #1

Bacquacil CRX, low pH

I have had my pool for 1 year, installed 7-12. Bacquacil CRX; lately it has been white clouds, PH is below the recommended level,7.2,can I use borax to raise the PH or is this a big no-no with this CRX system? I have used bacquacil PH increaser and not much luck. The TA is very high over 90, I wish I had found this site last year. Probably going to do the big switch over in 2-3 weeks! thank you in advance!
    24 ft rd. x 54" 14200 gal ag; Heyward 1.0 hp pump and sand filter; Rheem htr

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Bacquacil CRX, low pH

Welcome to TFP!

I believe you mean the Baquacil® CDX™ System, not CRX. They use CDX to help stabilize the oxidize (hydrogen peroxide) in the pool.

The main problem with the CDX is that you may find it more difficult to convert to chlorine even if you let the Baquacil level get low. Using chlorine to convert oxidizes the Baquacil into lovely colors, but the CDX is more difficult and may result in you measuring Combined Chlorine (CC) for quite some time. The good news is that this CC isn't the "bad" kind (it's chlorine combined with the chemical in CDX) but it makes it difficult to know if you have "real" CC.

Nevertheless, there are people who have had Baquacil CDX who have converted.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

3. Back To Top    #3

Compared to the cost of converting over from Baq to CL, not to mention the CC headache, would it be cheaper for you to do a drain and fill?
    Here in Oregon it'd probably only cost me about $20, if that! Our rates being one of the highest in the state.

How high is your water table, or deep, as the case may be?
    Thanks for reading... - Tony
    Da' Pool: Intex 15'x42" 3284gal AGP EasySet (Inflatable Ring) - (Summer 2014: 27' round EW /w 6.5' deep end @ 22,500gal)
    Pump & Cart Mod: 1000gph Cart. 5ft² - 2 nylons, 24/7 OP. Traps bugs/bits, lasts longer/cleans easier = Happier Pool Owner!!
    The Bible for a "Trouble Free Pool" life = PoolSchool, the BBB method a TF100 test kit(Recommend Kits Compared). - Cleaning a Sand Filter
    Water looks like GLASS, if yours doesn't...SLAM IT! Feels nice and never been happier!!! :D

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by y_not
    Compared to the cost of converting over from Baq to CL, not to mention the CC headache, would it be cheaper for you to do a drain and fill?
    Here in Oregon it'd probably only cost me about $20, if that! Our rates being one of the highest in the state.

How high is your water table, or deep, as the case may be?
    I have city water and it cost about $75 to fill last year but then I also had sewer charge of $68, $143 total. I see I would need to change out my sand in the filter so I am looking at $170 since we had rate increase in the past year.

My original question is if I can use Borax to raise PH with CDX?

5. Back To Top    #5

Call the water company, as often they'll wave the sewage charge. As for the PH.....you should be able to raise it with Borax.

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for the reply. Not in this county will they wave any fee, I argued this last year when I filled it.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by pbpool
    My original question is if I can use Borax to raise PH with CDX?
    Yes you can. Borax is not incompatible with Baquacil or CDX.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"