Chandler, AZ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
A lot of firsts for me. First time home buyer. First time pool owner. First thread on here other than my introduction.

howdy-from-chandler-az-t68770.html

My question for this forum is... what is everyone's preference on SWGs? My pool is not huge but it does get a lot of play (there are 4 adults that live here, plus a child, plus random guests).

I see suggestions for AquaRite, CompuPool, AutoPilot, and Pentair. I understand they all have their strengths and weaknesses.

What I have right now is the Monarch Eco-Matic ESC-24. Basically what happened was that I wanted to clean the cell to get a baseline of where it was. The cell was stuck in the housing by little pebbles as well as the leads being all corroded/messed up. So the only way for me to remove the cell was to break the cell. After that experience I decided that I didn't like the design - other designs I've seen seem much more simple and less prone to such a breakage. You either take the entire SWG out of line or the cell slides straight out (instead of rotating with the cap).

So I guess what I am looking for is a unit that is simple, reliable, and easy to clean. An added bonus would be for it to be able to withstand direct Arizona sunlight all day. I know this is a broad question so I apologize in advance - I'm just OCD when it comes to researching products before buying them. :? Thanks in advance.

I'm on my 6th year with the Monarch 36. Did have to replace the cell two years ago, but have found it to be trouble-free and way exceeds my needs. Reverse threads did take some getting use too, but no real problems. Kept the terminals from "crud" building up with just a little WD-40 yearly.
Not much help to you on the others, just my $ .02.
Good Luck!
Sami

Thanks for the reply Sami. I don't have much experience with the Eco-Matic. In fact, I think when I bought the house the pool was operating more as a non-SWG pool than a SWG pool. The ESC24 needs a high salt level, 4500-6000.

I am just wondering if an expensive cell is worth it... or if I should just upgrade to a new unit. When you bought your new cell how much was it? I hear that they went under and replacements are expensive now.

peacefulkancer said:
If your pool is 12.5k you may want to look at some of the smaller (but not too small) cell options on the market.

AutoPilot has the Nano which is rated up to 22,000 gallons however they released a 28,000 gallon-rated Nano Plus earlier this year.(Disclaimer: We are an AutoPilot dealer, just offering this info since you mentioned AutoPilot in your original post.) For comparison Pentair and Hayward both similarly sized units. Parts, cells, etc. are easy to find for all 3 of these manufacturers.

My cell was $300+ from what I can remember. I really like the ease of using the SWG and I only add what I want in the pool such as CYA. A personal choice, but there is a cost factor. Let me now how you come out!!
Sami

JoshU said:
peacefulkancer said:
If your pool is 12.5k you may want to look at some of the smaller (but not too small) cell options on the market.

AutoPilot has the Nano which is rated up to 22,000 gallons however they released a 28,000 gallon-rated Nano Plus earlier this year.(Disclaimer: We are an AutoPilot dealer, just offering this info since you mentioned AutoPilot in your original post.) For comparison Pentair and Hayward both similarly sized units. Parts, cells, etc. are easy to find for all 3 of these manufacturers.
JoshU, it appears that the Nano cleaning procedure would be similar to other brands where you just remove the entire cell, cap one end, and fill with water/MA. I may be green behind the ears but this is preferable after my experience with removing a stuck cell from a housing. With that said, my pool is not big but everyone always seems to suggest to get something almost 2x bigger than your pool so that you can reduce your duty cycle - is 22k-28k big enough in this aspect? Secondly, I am partially a believer in more parts means more things to break. How is the Nano with it's bypass system in this aspect?

Thanks for your reply.

samiguy said:
My cell was $300+ from what I can remember. I really like the ease of using the SWG and I only add what I want in the pool such as CYA. A personal choice, but there is a cost factor. Let me now how you come out!!
Sami
Your Eco-matic cell?

Yep..cell only. Would probally still be using the original if I hadn't tried to push it too hard before finding TFP. Now that I have my water balanced, just easy to keep the FC dialed in where I want it. Hope that answers your question. Please feel free to ask if you like.
THANKS!
Sami

Yes, it makes sense. I am guessing that the cell was not-OEM. I haven't even seen a OEM and I'm not sure if that is part of why the price is where it is. As I said, mine had rocks stuck between the cell and the housing so that made removal impossible and I ended up tearing it all up. Even when the lid was finally removed, I had to pry the cell out with channel locks. Needless to say the cell was broken at that point. After that experience I kind of decided that I didn't care for the design (I'm an engineer by trade).

Still not sure what I will replace it with.

You are correct, that was NON-oem. You would know better than I do that aftermarket is sometime better, sometimes worse. Buddy that is pool mfg. helped me on this one... Just gotta do what is right for you. Good Luck!!
Sami

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.