Nasty case of Mustard Algae almost gone...now what?

Jun 19, 2013
I posted about a week ago about this brown stuff we had. SLAMed...nothing. Finally determined it was mustard algae. Once we brought the FC up to the recommended level for MA it really started clearing up quickly. We've added DE to the sand filter (well the equivalent of what the pool store lady said was "just like DE" when my husband went in to get DE). Seems that the algae sticks to this stuff and then it clumps together then we clean it out. We've backwashed and cleared out the filter several times along with the chunks of white "DE" with green stuck to it and we passed the less than 1 ppm overnight FC loss. We've also soaked all the pool toys, etc in the shock level at FC 24 along with the ladder. Hopefully that will significantly reduce the risk of reoccurrence.

So now, the water is actually significantly clearer. I can see the bottom but the water is slightly "cloudy" overall and there is a little "dust" left on the bottom of the pool when I brush it a couple of times per day.

Now what do we do?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.