Taylor k2006 test kit

Was intending to drain 3 ft. Ground is black clay. Pool was drained to change from salt and remove coping last summer. My pool is on piers because of the shifting soil. Pool ranges from 3 to 5 feet

CYA is 320. Will this amount make any substantial changes to the CYA

~391 gallons per inch > 36 inch drain > 14,076 gallons, which is ~78 percent of 18,000 gallons. Given a CYA level of 320 before a 78 percent reduction, CYA should go down to ~70. Assuming, as you stated, that the 760 gallons in the catch basin is in addition to the pool volume drained thats another ~4 percent of CYA 320, or a little over 13 points. End result around 57.

These figures are based on some assumptions about your pool's shape & volume and there being 3 feet of water in the shallow end (a generally rectangular shape with no sloping sides until below a 3 ft depth). If you were to drain more than 3 feet the math would have to start dealing with sloping sides and bottom. The 391 gallons per inch figure wouldn't be accurate beyond that point.

Whether or not its advisable that you drain 3 feet all at one time in your pool I'll leave to you and others here.

[attachment=1:2ouazubm]photo66.jpg[/attachment:2ouazubm][attachment=0:2ouazubm]photo67.jpg[/attachment:2ouazubm]

It's not exactly rectangle, more kidney with sloping sides

I am refilling and will do tests.

Attachments

• photo66.jpg
    photo66.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 101
  • photo67.jpg
    photo67.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 101
Jeetyet said:
~391 gallons per inch > 36 inch drain > 14,076 gallons
Well, if this is the case, then I WAAAAY underestimated. Let us know what your CYA test reads when you get done refilling. Hopefully you won't even need to dilute your sample.

Since the CYA test can require a fair amount of reagent, you can repeat the test a couple times with the same mixture where you yo-yo it between the squeeze bottle and test tube. No need to make a fresh mixture for each re-test during the same test session.

You can also take a 100CYA+ sample and dilute it after testing. You do lose some accuracy but if you over 100, you are already looking at large water change so you just need to know if you are closer to 100 or 200... so accuracy on a low accuracy test is likely less important.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Oops, didn't see the above post.

Here are the test results
Free 0
CC 0
ph 7.6
TA110
CH140
CYA 140--Not great but a heck of a lot better than 360

According to pool calculator I need 2 gallons bleach (8.3%)
7.9 oz MA
and I need to raise the CH a lot.

I am starting with the 8 oz acid waiting 15 min and then on to the bleach. I need to purchase the CH increaser. Will this be readily available at the pool store? I am also adding the intial dose of polyquat 60 since I assume I drained it out. Should I wait until after the bleach, and if so how long? I still have a high CYA and no algae, so after all of the previous posts I think I need to continue it on a weekly basis till I can get the CYA down farther. NOW am I headed in the right direction? If so what is my next step. I intend to backwash longer than usual each month and hope for flooding rain.

You should still ideally do another 50-60% water change to lower the CYA more ... but you know this

And you need more than 2 gallons if you are going to try to live with that CYA ... your MINIMUM FC is 11ppm, but you should target up around 17ppm ... to follow our NORMAL recommendations.

Jeetyet said:
Wow! Great looking pool. After seeing it though you can toss all my estimates out the window. :shock: I'm left wondering how you got the 19' X 33' figures to begin with, but thats all a moot point now.

From the engineers drawing. It was actually 22x33 at the widest point and 17 x 33 at a smaller width. So I averaged it to 19 x 33

By any chance would there be any info on the drawing stating surface area or anything of that sort? Would probably be stated as square footage. If you had that info it would be easy to compute the volume for a given depth down to the point you have to start dealing with slopes.

The way it works is for every square foot of surface area that is one foot in depth you have a volume of 7.48 gallons. For instance a 10 X 10 surface area is 100 sq ft multiplied by 1 foot in depth is 100 cubic feet multiplied by 7.48 yields 748 gallons. Then divide by 12 to get volume per inch of depth. Easy peasey. :mrgreen:

Jeetyet said:
By any chance would there be any info on the drawing stating surface area or anything of that sort? Would probably be stated as square footage. If you had that info it would be easy to compute the volume for a given depth down to the point you have to start dealing with slopes.

The way it works is for every square foot of surface area that is one foot in depth you have a volume of 7.48 gallons. For instance a 10 X 10 surface area is 100 sq ft multiplied by 1 foot in depth is 100 cubic feet multiplied by 7.48 yields 748 gallons. Then divide by 12 to get volume per inch of depth. Easy peasey. :mrgreen:

Easy for you to say
pool is 485 sq depth 3'6" to 5'
plus 8 foot round spa---depth??4 ft
plus catch basin 17ft x 2ft x 3ft deep

I just drained from the pool so the spa and catch basin shouldn't matter
so I drained 19 in-- if I did your calculation right I took out only 5744 gallons?? About a 1/3? Math is not my strong suit

Pool: 485 sq ft > ~3628 gals per foot of depth > ~302 gals per inch
Spa: ~50 sq ft > ~376 gals per foot of depth > ~31 gals per inch
Basin: 34 sq ft > ~254 gals per foot of depth > ~21 gals per inch

Now, all this brings us back to your stated total volume amount. That estimate is critical for figuring the percentages. If you got the volume by plugging 19 X 33 into the pool calculator then it may be off somewhat, not sure at the moment. I don't have the time right now to get into it but will check back later. Got to go dose a pool! :)

<edit>

Just noticed your add to the above post. Your figures are about right. I get about 32 percent, so yeah, close to one third. You done good! :D Gotta run!

Just a follow up, to last August. I went through the hot months following all recommended levels. No algae and my husband "finally" agreed that the water looked better than it ever had. He thought I had gone through a lot to get there, but did agree and still does that it looks better. We are still on water restriction and can now only water once a week. However, after a accidental flooding of the pool for a day and night, the CYA levels are now down to 90 from 140 after the last drain. Although at one point I thought I got down to 70, I am going with the 90 range due to reading about the effects of cold water on the CYA test. I did hold the water awhile to warm up though. Anyway, my question is the goal is 30 to 50. I think it was mentioned earlier that with the high sun and warm temps from spring through late fall I could run in the 70 range. I just wanted to confirm this as draining more is not a option as I need the one day a week water for landscape.

latest test
free CL 3.8 ( low I know)
CC .2
PH 8
TA 100
CH 210 Just added product to bring to 250
CYA 90

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.