Need Advice on a new build not yet started up Salt

May 28, 2013
Houston, Tx
Ok, here is the situation.

My pool was filled with water on Aug 6th. Since then my PB said, "I have done two small shocks to the pool." when we asked about chlorine.

Since then, we locked our gate, so we know he hasn't been back to the pool since we locked it. He said when they start up the SWG, they will bring the first salt and do a "Pool School" with us on how to run the pool, maintain it, and make sure its good. He encouraged us after we get Pool School to get our water tested regularly, and to keep track of that in a spread sheet. He told me to brush the pool every day for the first week, and once a week after that. My pool build thread is: here

So I tested our fill up water and the water in the pool.

Straight out the tap:
FC 3
pH 7.5
TA 170
CA 180

Pool:
FC 0
pH way above 8.2
TA 220
CA 250
CYA 0

My water right now is still crystal clear looking. As can be seen in my pool build thread.
Should I start adding chems now are wait for my PB?

When I do, where do most people pick up the chems (besides the BBB) to start changing these numbers?

Did they give you instructions on how to start up the pool? You should not add salt for at least 30 days after you fill and you certainly need to be doing something in that amount of time of you will have a swamp.

If you are allowed,
Get the CYA up to 30-50ppm now {you will want 70-80ppm once you go salt}
Get the pH back down into the 7s using muriatic acid
Get the FC up with bleach

The PB said he would switch it over to salt, but that be 30 days after putting water in the pool. He told me to brush the pool everyday for the first week and regularly after the first week. That if we wanted we could throw a couple of pucks in to the skimmer if we were worried about it. :grrrr:

So that is why I was asking here. From what I have read, those pucks have more than chlorine in them.
I wasn't sure how close to "ideal" numbers I should be trying to achieve before we move over to salt, and how to go about changing them.

I have read the BBB method, was thinking of using that until we turned on the SWG.

Yep, salt addition is a minimum of 28-30 days after new plaster. They should be giving you start up instruction. A pH of 8.2 is really tough on chlorine, so I would get permission to lower it, and add other chems as suggested above by Jason. You can use the pucks to start out but not long term.

I get most of my chemicals from Wal-Mart or HomeDepot as they are closest to my home. I have found one pool store that sells liquid chlorine for $15 for 4 gallons of 12% and that's a good price here. It is the ONLY chemical I have bought at a local pool store (LPS) since last summer. I pretty much need MA (Muriatic Acid - HD), LC (liquid chlorine or bleach- WM, HD or LPS) and CYA (Conditioner WM), and some Borax (WM laundry aisle)

I use the MA to being my pH down
LC to bring my FC up
CYA granular by HTH for to bring up my CYA

You can use pucks or powdered chlorine during your initial fill until your CYA is in the 30-40 range but unless you already have them I would not bother buying any. Just use chlorine or bleach (same stuff, different strengths).

Ok, got in touch with the other owner of the PB company. He told me to definitely start prepping the water, getting it under control.
So I will be picking up stuff tomorrow to start treating the pool. Thank you all for your advice.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.